A hotline for fast-food workers to anonymously report allegations of illegal or unjust pay practices by their bosses is to be set up in New York, as part of an expanding national campaign by US workers.
Tish James, the New York City public advocate, said on Tuesday that her office would be establishing the whistleblower phone line while pushing for legislation to give US authorities greater powers to investigate what she and union campaigners call “wage theft.”
“It’s hard enough for low-wage workers to survive in this economy,” James said in a statement before a planned demonstration outside a McDonald’s in Manhattan. “The instances of wage theft in New York City and around the country are becoming too many to ignore.”
James said she would also urge authorities to report to the public on the number of complaints lodged against employers.
Last week, lawyers unveiled a coordinated series of lawsuits from workers who alleged that the fast-food giant and some of its franchise-owners were systematically stealing the wages of tens of thousands of employees.
Seven lawsuits, some requesting class-action status, were filed in California, Michigan and New York. They alleged that thousands of workers had their pay pushed below the federal minimum wage of US$7.25 an hour through a variety of practices.
Some workers were simply not paid for all the time they worked, the complaints alleged, while some had wages docked to pay for their uniforms and some were made to wait, unpaid, for several hours until being allowed to clock in when restaurants became busier.
James’ announcement was made soon after New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced that his office had settled a criminal action in the state over alleged wage theft by a McDonald’s franchise owner.
Richard Cisneros, the owner of seven McDonald’s outlets in Manhattan, will pay almost US$500,000 to more than 1,600 current and former employees to settle the case, said Schneiderman, whose Web site features a form for fast-food workers to lodge complaints with their bosses.
The action alleged that low-paid workers had their wages docked to make up cash register shortfalls, and that they were made to work unpaid before and after their shifts. It also alleged that they did not receive an extra hour of pay when they worked for ten hours consecutively, as is required under New York law, and were not given allowances for cleaning their uniforms.
“Like every other business in New York State, fast-food employers must follow our labor laws,” Schneiderman said in a statement. “Our lowest wage workers deserve the same protections of the law as everyone else.”
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread