Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday warned his rivals he would “break their hands” if they used a widening graft scandal to undermine his rule, as thousands of angry protesters called for the government’s resignation.
“Everyone will know their place,” Erdogan told cheering supporters of his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) in his latest combative response to a high-profile probe into bribery and corruption allegations that has ensnared Cabinet ministers.
“Whoever dares to harm, stir up or set traps in this country, we will come to break those hands,” Erdogan said in a speech in the Black Sea province of Giresun.
His heated remarks came as riot police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse several thousand demonstrators in Istanbul calling on the AKP government to step down.
Many were protesting against grand urban development projects, but some symbolically held up shoe boxes to show their fury over recent claims of widespread bribery by members of Erdogan’s Islamic-leaning government.
In a further sign of growing public anger, Galatasaray soccer fans in Istanbul chanted: “Everywhere is bribery, everywhere is corruption” at the start of a home game against Trabzonspor.
The words were a deliberate play on a chant that was often heard during the huge anti-government protests that took over Istanbul’s Taksim Square in June: “Everywhere is Taksim, everywhere is resistance.”
The high-level graft probe has shaken Turkey’s political establishment, exposing a bitter feud between the AKP and influential Muslim academic Fethullah Gulen whose followers hold key positions in the police, judiciary and secret services.
Twenty-four people have been charged so far in connection with the investigation, including the sons of Turkish Minister of the Interior Muammer Guler and Turkish Economy Minister Zafer Caglayan, as well as the chief executive of state-owned Halkbank.
Police also seized US$4.5 million in cash hidden in shoe boxes in Halkbank chief executive officer Suleyman Aslan’s home, local media reported on Tuesday last week.
Those detained are suspected of numerous offences including accepting and facilitating bribes for development projects and securing construction permits for protected areas in exchange for money.
Erdogan has described the sweeping corruption probe, which comes ahead of crucial March municipal polls, as a smear operation against his government.
A day after their sons were charged with acting as intermediaries for giving and taking bribes, the interior and economy ministers broke their silence to deny the accusations.
“It is out of the question for us to be involved in any unlawful affairs,” Guler wrote on Twitter on Sunday, while Caglayan railed against a “big trap” set for the AKP government.
Observers have linked last week’s police raids targeting scores of people to tensions between Erdogan and followers of the Gulen movement which boiled over when the government announced plans to shut down a network of private schools run by the Islamic cleric, a major source of revenue for the group.
Gulenists were previously key backers of the AKP, helping it to win three elections in a row since it first took office in 2002.
Erdogan has responded to the mass detentions by sacking dozens of police officials, including the Istanbul police chief, for cooperating with the investigation without permission.
Local media reported on Sunday that another 25 police chiefs had been fired in the fast-moving saga.
The prime minister, whose image was already bruised by June’s anti-government unrest, is facing a key test as the country braces for an election cycle next year starting with the local polls in March.
“The nation will win on March 30, democracy will win,” he said. “We will emerge stronger as long as we remain united.”
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday
“Leaving a place that I love was very difficult. We’re all Hong Kong people who come out to protest because we love Hong Kong. But now we are forced to leave.” *Jay* is a former Hong Kong resident who attended many of last year’s protests, including on the front lines. He was arrested and charged with riot offenses, but fled the territory when he was being released on bail several months ago. He is now among dozens of Hong Kong residents seeking political asylum in Australia, and he has no expectation of returning home. “When I was taking the bus to the