Toronto city councilors voted to limit their hell-raising mayor’s powers on Friday after his latest obscene outburst.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is under fire for a bizarre series of admitted and alleged misdeeds, most recently drawing mockery and gasps when he used obscene language while denying sexual harassment claims.
He later apologized for Thursday’s outburst, but it did little to stem the swelling outrage, which began this month when he admitted he had smoked crack cocaine during a drunken rampage.
On Thursday, Premier Kathleen Wynne, the leader of the province of Ontario, signaled a willingness to find legal means to oust the mayor, if asked by the municipality, but later backed off.
Instead, Toronto’s city council passed a motion on Friday morning limiting the mayor’s executive powers, effectively leaving him as the city’s chief magistrate in name only.
Councilor John Fillion said ahead of the vote that the aim was to “try to contain the mayor so that he doesn’t bring down the reputation of council or of the city.”
The motion, supported by an overwhelming majority of councilors, reduces the mayor’s budget and staff, and strips him of the powers to appoint committee chairs as well as hire or fire department heads.
One councilor described the move as an attempt to build a “firewall” around the disgraced mayor.
Ford responded with a pledge to mount a legal challenge to the “precedent-setting” censure.
A legal opinion circulated by Ford staffers argued the changes to city governance “could be perceived by the public” as an attempt to punish Ford “for alleged personal misconduct.”
“There is no evidence before the council suggesting that the mayor has failed to exercise, or abused, his powers, or been unwilling or unable to fulfill them,” it said.
The mayor’s troubles began several weeks ago when a video surfaced in police hands that appeared to show him smoking crack.
Forced to admit he once smoked the illicit drug, he apologized for his antics, including his many “drunken stupors.”
Then new allegations of misconduct, disclosed this week, and lewd remarks gave another boost to the spiraling scandal.
Ford’s former chief of staff, two underlings and a bar waiter alleged in police interviews that Ford had snorted cocaine and partied with a possible prostitute on St Patrick’s Day last year.
Police used the allegations to obtain a search warrant in an investigation of Ford’s friend Alessandro Lisi, who faces drug and extortion charges.
Ford reacted angrily as he arrived for work on Thursday, telling reporters he would sue his former staffers and the waiter, calling the allegations “outright lies.”
The three staffers were among revelers who joined Ford as he started partying that evening at City Hall.
One of them said he saw a woman named Alana he believed was a sex worker.
The staffer told police there had been rumors that Ford “had used escorts or prostitutes” and that Alana had previously been seen with Ford “at a stag party.”
“It hurts my wife when they are calling a friend of mine a prostitute. Alana is not a prostitute. She’s a friend and it makes me sick how people are saying this,” Ford said.
According to the police transcripts, the party moved to a private room at a bar, where a waiter said he saw the mayor and a woman bent over a table and “heard two sniffs from both of them.”
Ford rejected this account and allegations that, over the course of the night, he made lewd suggestions to a female policy adviser and a female City Hall security guard.
In his denial, he used an obscene metaphor for oral sex, causing further outrage.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Hong Kong (FCC) yesterday said that reporters in the territory were experiencing “highly unusual” visas problems, and called on the US and China to stop using the media as a political weapon. Journalists have been caught up in US-China tensions, with both sides placing limits or expelling reporters from their territories in the past few months. Now the spat is filtering into Hong Kong, a regional press hub nominally in charge of its own immigration policies. The FCC said in a statement that multiple media firms had reported delays getting visas in recent months. “The delays have affected journalists