Lebanon observed a day of national mourning yesterday for 47 people killed in powerful bombings outside two Sunni mosques in a city riven by strife over Syria’s war.
The attack on Friday in the northern city of Tripoli — the deadliest in the country since its 1975 to 1990 civil war — drew strong condemnation from the international community.
Coming a week after a bombing in the Beirut bastion of Shiite movement Hezbollah, a close ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, the bombings risk further stoking tensions between supporters and foes of the Syrian president.
The blasts hit during weekly Muslim prayers, in a city where Sunni supporters of Syria’s rebels engage in frequent, often deadly, clashes with Alawites, who back the regime of al-Assad.
The first bomb struck in the city centre at the al-Salam mosque as worshippers were still inside.
CCTV footage aired on television showed people sitting on the floor when the explosion hit, and they scattered in panic.
The second explosion struck just minutes later outside al-Taqwa mosque, about 2km away, near the port.
A security source put the toll at 42 dead, while the Lebanese Red Cross said at least 500 people were wounded, many of them with serious burns and head injuries.
An AFP reporter saw a number of charred bodies near al-Taqwa and the bodies of five children brought out of it.
As huge clouds of black smoke billowed into the air, television broadcast footage of the dead, of buildings with their fronts blown in and vehicles ablaze.
Hundreds of furious people gathered outside the al-Taqwa mosque shouting curses at Hezbollah and the Syrian regime.
The powerful Shiite movement, whose militia have been fighting for months alongside al-Assad’s troops, linked the Tripoli attacks to the one in Beirut on Aug. 15, which killed 22 people and injured more than 300.
It said they were part of a plan to “plunge Lebanon into chaos and destruction.”
Former premier Saad Hariri, a Sunni and opponent of Hezbollah, said the “authors of dissension do not want Lebanon to live in peace for one minute; they want the killing machine to mow down the lives of innocents across Lebanon.”
Hariri’s father, former billionaire prime minister Rafiq Hariri, was assassinated in a 2005 car bombing in Beirut that also killed another 22 people which had been, until Friday, the worst attack since the civil war.
Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati declared yesterday a day of national mourning.
Syrian information minister Omran al-Zohbi condemned this “cowardly terrorist attack on our brothers in Tripoli,” in a statement echoed by Iran.
The US also condemned the attacks and lamented the “loss of innocent life.”
In London, Parliamentary Undersecretary of State Alistair Burt condemned what he called the “abhorrent attacks,” while French President Francois Hollande spoke of what he called “odious, cowardly attacks.” UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Lebanese to “exercise restraint, to remain united,” while expressing hope “those responsible for such cowardly acts of violence will be brought to justice as soon as possible.”
On Wednesday, army chief General Jean Kahwaji had said his forces were fighting a “total war” against terrorism whose aim is “to provoke sectarian strife” in Lebanon.
One Lebanese and two Palestinians suspected of preparing a car bomb attack were arrested days after the latest blast in Beirut, the General Security agency said.
Tripoli has seen frequent Syria-related violence during the past two years, including waves of deadly clashes. Lebanon is officially neutral in Syria’s conflict, but the country is deeply divided.
“It is clear that there is a desire to trigger a confessional war in Lebanon to divert attention from what is happening in Syria,” said Hilal Khashan, chairman of the political science department at the American University of Beirut.
The bombings were reminiscent of attacks that shook the country during its civil war, but Khashan said he did not think a confessional war would break out “because it will not benefit anyone.”
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,