Patient saves his driver
A late-stage cancer patient has saved the life of an ambulance driver who suffered a heart attack, by taking the wheel of his vehicle and driving him to hospital, medical officials said. Christian Nayet, a 60-year-old cancer sufferer from Berck-sur-mer, rescued the driver on Thursday last week by taking him to a hospital in Lens, hospital emergency room manager Frederic Allienne said on Wednesday. Nayet told newspaper Voix du Nord the driver had suffered a heart attack while taking him to a hospital in Lille for a regular scan. “I told him: ‘Give me the keys, trust me. My life is not in danger, but yours is.’” Nayet said. “I couldn’t find the siren, but I managed to turn the lights on and told him to put his arm out the window to signal to the cars to let us pass.” During the drive, Nayet had also administered a blood anticoagulant to the driver. Without his assistance, the driver “could have died,” Allienne said.
Brake failure causes crash
Brake failure was almost certainly what caused a coach full of young Britons to crash in the Alps, the prosecutor investigating the terrifying accident said on Wednesday. The coach’s British driver was left dead and three passengers were seriously injured on Tuesday when the coach crashed on a bend near the end of a steep descent from the ski resort of Alpe-d’Huez. “It is very probably an issue with the brakes,” Grenoble prosecutor Jean-Yves Coquillat said. According to passenger accounts, the driver had shouted out that the brakes were not working as the coach hurtled toward the last of a series of 21 treacherous hairpin bends. After veering off the road, the coach crashed through trees and hit rocks. Most of the passengers were able to escape before the coach caught fire, but one of them is being treated in a specialist burns unit in Lyon. “We came very close to a catastrophe,” said Jean Rampon, the top administrative official in the region. “All the thoughts of the survivors are with the driver, who saved their lives.”
Osbourne sorry for bingeing
Black Sabbath singer Ozzy Osbourne apologized on Tuesday for bingeing on drink and drugs over the last year and a half, but said he was not getting a divorce from his wife, Sharon. The British singer’s comments on his Facebook page were a response to media speculation about the state of his marriage, with reports that he and Sharon had split up after more than 30 years and were living separately. “Just to set the record straight, Sharon and I are not divorcing,” Osbourne, 64, said on his Facebook page. “I’m just trying to be a better person.” He said he had been drinking and taking drugs for the last year and a half, and had been in a “very dark place,” but has now been sober for 44 days.
Bottle found after 28 years
A Canadian man’s message in a bottle honoring his promise to write to a woman named Mary has finally washed ashore 28 years later in Croatia. Surfers cleaning the debris from a beach at the mouth of the Neretva River in the southern Adriatic came across a half-broken bottle with a paper inside, Croatian newspaper Dubrovack Vjesnik said on its Web site on Wednesday. A 23-year-old local surfer nearly threw it away when she spotted a wet paper inside, which contained a message from Jonathon in Canada. “Mary, you really are a great person. I hope we can keep in correspondence. I said I would write. Your friend always, Jonathon, Nova Scotia, 1985,” the message said.
Ex-judge’s wife charged
The wife of a former judge was charged with capital murder after confessing to her involvement in the three shooting deaths of the local district attorney, his wife and an assistant prosecutor, Texas authorities said on Wednesday. Kim Williams was arrested early on Wednesday, a day after she told investigators that she and her husband, Eric Williams, were involved in the shootings, according to documents in the case. Eric Williams has not been charged in the killings. The affidavit says Kim Williams “described in detail her role along with that of her husband,” but was unclear on who she said committed the shooting. Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland and assistant prosecutor Mark Hasse prosecuted Eric Williams last year for theft of three computer monitors. Eric Williams was convicted and sentenced to probation. He also lost his elected position as justice of the peace and his law license. McLelland and his wife, Cynthia, were found dead on March 30, two months after Hasse was slain. Eric Williams was arrested on Saturday and charged with making terroristic threats. He remains jailed on a US$3 million bond.
‘Cannibal’ to plead guilty
A prosecutor says a man accused of cannibalism is expected to plead guilty but not criminally responsible in the slaying of a man staying with his family. Charging documents state Alex Kinyua, a 22-year-old former Morgan State University student, told authorities that he ate the heart and brain of the Ghanaian man he was charged with killing last year. Harford County State’s Attorney Joseph Cassilly said on Wednesday that Kinyua is expected to enter the plea to first-degree murder. His attorney’s office declined comment. The slaying came days after Kinyua, a US citizen originally from Kenya, was charged in an on-campus beating that blinded another man. He entered the same plea to attempted murder in that attack, meaning he would be confined to a mental health facility, not prison.
No mercy for baby killer
Ohio Governor John Kasich has turned down a request for mercy by a condemned killer who says he intended to rape his girlfriend’s six-month-old daughter, but not to kill her. Kasich’s decision rejects arguments by attorneys for Steven Smith, who said evidence shows the baby died because Smith was too drunk to realize his sexual assault was killing the child. Kasich’s announcement on Wednesday upheld a unanimous ruling against mercy by the Ohio Parole Board on Wednesday last week. The board said some arguments for sparing Smith, 46, such as his turbulent childhood, were far outweighed by the abhorrent nature of the crime. Smith is scheduled to die on May 1.
Three arrested in killings
Police on Wednesday arrested three men suspected of involvement in a spate of killings of homeless people in the central-western state of Goias. They are suspected of trying to kill a homeless man on Saturday and of murdering six others in the state capital of Goiania, the Goias state police department said in a statement. Saturday’s victim was shot several times, but survived and identified the three gunmen, it said. Police in Goias say the killings of homeless people may be related to unpaid drug debts. Federal law enforcement officials have said the killings may be the work of extermination groups hired to kill suspected criminals.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are