Thousands of extra police officers were deployed on Saturday in Argentine cities where looting earlier had left two dead, about 100 injured and hundreds arrested.
The Argentine government and labor unions traded blame for the violence on Thursday and Friday, which came amid a growing wave of anger with Argentine President Cristina Fernandez’s administration over the rising crime and economic uncertainty plaguing the country.
In Rosario, an industrial and farm export hub where the two people were killed on Friday, a top government official said a special security operation “will continue at least until Jan. 1.”
Buenos Aires Governor Daniel Sciolo said on Radio Mitro that he had instructed officials to “increase patrols and the presence of troops in the province.”
About 3,000 police officers were deployed to the outskirts of the Argentine capital, where crowds looted shops and supermarkets on Friday.
Argentine Cabinet boss Juan Abal Medina accused truckers from the prominent General Confederation of Labor union of participating in the looting.
Union head Hugo Moyano dismissed the accusation on local radio as “nonsense,” then accused the government of orchestrating the unrest “to discredit and disqualify leaders who do not share their politics.”
Earlier, soldiers were sent to Bariloche, a tourist city best known for skiing which lies 1,650km miles southwest of Buenos Aires, where crowds stormed at least two supermarkets on Thursday.
The mob stole television sets, bicycles and electrical appliances, witnesses said.
Looting was also reported in cities in the Tucuman, Corrientes, Chaco, Misiones, Cordoba and Rio Negro provinces, in most cases resulting in injuries and arrests.
French authorities yesterday said that they would close a Paris mosque as part of a clampdown on radical Islam that has yielded over a dozen arrests following the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed. The mosque in a densely populated suburb northeast of Paris had disseminated a video on its Facebook page days before Friday’s gruesome murder, railing against teacher Samuel Paty’s choice of material for a class discussion on freedom of expression, a source close to the investigation said. The French Ministry of the Interior said the mosque in Pantin, which has
LONGSTANDING NEUTRALITY: The US request came as it vied for influence in Southeast Asia with China, but Indonesia has never let foreign militaries operate there Indonesia this year rejected a proposal by the US to allow its P-8 Poseidon maritime surveillance planes to land and refuel there, four senior Indonesian officials familiar with the matter have said. US officials made multiple “high-level” approaches in July and August to Indonesia’s defense and foreign ministers before Indonesian President Joko Widodo rebuffed the request, the officials said. Representatives for Indonesia’s president and defense minister, the US Department of State’s Office of Press Relations and the US embassy in Jakarta did not respond to requests for comment. Representatives for the US Department of Defense and Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi
COVID-19 UNDER CONTROL: The two prime ministers agreed to ease entry bans, and allow short-term business visits and reopen flights between Vietnam and Japan Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, in his first overseas summit since taking office last month, yesterday agreed with Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to step up defense and security cooperation in the face of China’s expanding influence in the region. In talks in Hanoi, Suga and Phuc set up a basic agreement allowing Japan to export defense equipment and technology to Vietnam. Japan has been pursuing such agreements to bolster ties with Southeast Asian nations and sustain its own defense industry. Suga said that his four-day trip to Vietnam and Indonesia would be key to pursuing the “free and open Indo-Pacific” vision
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said that he has no problem with being held responsible for the many killings under his crackdown on drugs, and that he is ready to face charges that could land him in jail, but not charges of crimes against humanity. Duterte’s televised remarks were among his clearest acknowledgement of the prospects that he could face a deluge of criminal charges for the bloody campaign he launched after taking office in the middle of 2016. Police have reported that at least 5,856 drug suspects have been killed in raids and more than 256,000 others arrested since