In an about-face, Portugal’s government has agreed to negotiate alternative solutions to a social security tax hike that sparked the worst backlash to austerity since last year’s EU/IMF bailout was unveiled, an official statement said yesterday.
After an eight-hour meeting of the presidential state council that was besieged by protesters and ended long after midnight yesterday evening, the council said the negotiations would now proceed between the government, unions and employers.
On Friday, Portuguese Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho promised to “listen to the country” after huge street protests last weekend and criticism of the plan by unions and business leaders alike. He had previously only agreed to “calibrate” the measure. The plan to raise the contributions next year to 18 percent from 11 percent has undermined a reluctant acceptance of austerity in Portugal which has heaped pressure on the government as it strives to meet the strict conditions of the bailout.
“The council was informed of the government’s readiness to study, within the framework of the social bargaining process, alternatives to changes in the social security rate,” the statement said after the council meeting.
It also said that “difficulties that could affect the solidity of the ruling coalition have been overcome,” confirming earlier statements by the two center-right coalition partners that they remained committed to the bailout’s targets. Junior coalition partner CDS-PP is traditionally against tax hikes.
Thousands of protesters gathered next to the presidential palace where Portuguese President Anibal Cavaco Silva met with his council — the consultative body made up of senior political figures, including the prime minister.
Angry demonstrators demanded the government’s resignation and chanted: “Thieves, thieves!” Over a hundred stayed until the end of the meeting and booed the council members as they left.
Expresso weekly newspaper said in its weekend edition the premier had decided to abandon the measure, which had irritated workers because it simultaneously reduced social security contributions by companies, but was preparing a new cut in holiday subsidies for workers instead to meet tough fiscal goals of the bailout.
Some analysts say the badly-devised attempt to hike the social security levy will make additional austerity measures harder to swallow now despite the government’s retreat and strife is likely to grow especially since Portugal’s economic recession is now expected to continue next year.
Portugal has entered its worst recession since the 1970s as it labors under sweeping tax increases and spending cuts, with the centre-right government’s popularity slumping to an all-time low after it announced the tax changes.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are