Europe’s Mars Express spacecraft will lend its eyes and ears to NASA next week for the so-called “seven minutes of terror” in which the US agency will seek to land a rover on Mars.
As a sort of “European backup service,” the satellite will point its antennas at NASA’s Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) as it approaches the Red Planet early tomorrow, Mars Express operations manager Michel Denis said.
It will then change direction again to face the Earth and relay the recorded data.
Photo: AFP / NASA / JPL-CALTECH / MSSS
“We began optimizing our orbit several months ago so that Mars Express will have an orbit ... that provides good visibility of MSL’s planned trajectory,” Denis said.
The European Space Agency (ESA) craft will record MSL signal data tomorrow — “practically until it touches down,” before starting to retransmit via ESA’s 35m-diameter deep-space antenna in New Norcia, Australia.
NASA will attempt to put down the Curiosity, the largest and most sophisticated rover yet, for a two-year quest for signs of past life and water on Earth’s nearest planetary neighbor.
It will also collect data for a future human mission there.
The information gathered by Mars Express may prove crucial if anything goes wrong in the nail-biting seven minutes when the MLS, having entered the atmosphere at nearly 21,000kph, slows to under 3.6kph for a gentle landing.
Alongside the Mars Express, NASA’s Mars Odyssey and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter will also track and relay signal data for what is expected to be a spectacular touchdown.
NASA is expected to confirm touchdown, relayed directly from Curiosity, at 5:31am GMT — after a delay of about 14 minutes for the signal to travel all the way from Mars, an ESA statement said.
“The Martians will know the outcome” long before the NASA team on Earth, Denis quipped.
If all goes well, the information gathered by Mars Express during the landing will boost scientific knowledge about the Red Planet’s atmosphere.
And if it does not ... well then the data can be used to analyze the causes of failure and improve future missions.
Denis said ESA’s network of Earth-bound antennae will also play their part, standing by to take over from NASA’s own if need be.
The Mars Express, launched in June 2003, represented ESA’s first mission to another planet.
Denis said he hoped the vessel could remain in orbit until 2018 or even 2020 — long enough for the launch of a follow-up European mission.
School bullies in Singapore are to face caning under new guidelines, but the education minister on Tuesday said it would be meted out only as a last resort with strict safeguards. Human rights groups regularly criticize Singapore for the use of corporal punishment, which remains part of the school and criminal justice systems, but authorities have defended it as a deterrent to crime and serious misconduct. Caning was discussed in the parliament after legislators asked how it would be used in relation to bullying in schools. The debate followed stricter guidelines on serious student misconduct, including bullying, unveiled by the Singaporean Ministry of
As evening falls in Fiji’s capital, a steady stream of people approaches a makeshift clinic that is a first line of defense against one of the world’s fastest-growing HIV epidemics. In the South Pacific nation — a popular tourist destination of just under a million people — more than 2,000 new HIV cases were recorded last year, a 26 percent increase from 2024. The government has declared an HIV outbreak and described it as a national crisis. “It’s spreading like wildfire,” said Siteri Dinawai, 46, who came to be tested. The Moonlight Clinic, a converted minibus parked in a suburban cul-de-sac in Suva, is
A MESSAGE: Japan’s participation in the Balikatan drills is a clear deterrence signal to China not to attack Taiwan while the US is busy in the Middle East, an analyst said The Japan Self-Defense Forces yesterday fired a Type 88 anti-ship missile during a joint maritime exercise with US, Australian and Philippine forces, hitting a decommissioned Philippine Navy ship in waters facing the disputed South China Sea, in drills that underscore Tokyo’s rising willingness to project military power on China’s doorstep. The drill took place as Manila and Tokyo began talks on a potential defense equipment transfer, made possible by Japan’s decision to scrap restrictions on military exports. The discussions include the possible early transfer of Abukuma-class destroyers and TC-90 aircraft to the Philippines, Japanese Minister of Defense Shinjiro Koizumi said. Philippine Secretary of
A South Korean judge who last week more than doubled former South Korean first lady Kim Keon-hee’s prison sentence was found dead yesterday, police said. Shin Jong-o was found unconscious at about 1am at the Seoul High Court building, an investigator at the Seocho District Police Station in Seoul said. Shin was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead, he said. “There is no sign of foul play in the death,” the investigator added. Local media reported that Shin had left a suicide note, but the investigator said there was none. On Tuesday last week, Shin presided over 53-year-old Kim’s appeal trial, finding her guilty