East Timor resistance hero Xanana Gusmao looked likely to remain prime minister after preliminary results yesterday showed his party took the largest number of votes in parliamentary elections.
His center-left National Congress for Timorese Reconstruction (CNRT) won 36.6 percent of the votes in Saturday’s poll, an official tally showed. The electoral commission did not give a firm indication of how many seats in parliament each party had won in the poll, a key test for the young democracy and likely to determine whether UN peacekeepers can leave by the end of this year.
However, it remained almost certain that the CNRT would need to form a coalition, amid concerns that violence could be reignited in the energy-rich, but impoverished state if there is drawn-out wrangling to form a government. The main opposition left-wing Fretilin party was in second place with 29.8 percent, according to the preliminary count of 100 percent of the votes released by the electoral commission.
The Democratic Party (PD), a member of the current ruling coalition, won 10.3 percent of the vote, according to the tally. Final results were not expected for several days, but the preliminary figures indicated that Gusmao’s five-year term was likely to be extended. PD vice president Lurdes Bessa said talks about forming a coalition with the CNRT had already begun, adding that her party was likely to support 66-year-old Gusmao, a hero of East Timor’s struggle against Indonesian occupation.
“Discussions started just last night, the contact has been initiated, but it’s going to be very difficult to make a decision,” she said, but added that “I think PD will end up supporting Xanana.”
Commenting on how long negotiations could last, she added “it should happen pretty quickly, probably over the next couple of days.”
The UN sees the polls — and their aftermath — as the last big test that will decide whether its remaining 1,300 peacekeepers and other security staff can withdraw as planned within six months.
Presidential polls that were held over two rounds in March and April passed off peacefully and there has been no major violence linked to the parliamentary polls.
In the last legislative elections in 2007, Fretilin won 21 of the total 65 seats, or 29 percent, while the CNRT won 18 seats, or 24 percent, but the CNRT won out in the post-election horse-trading to lead a coalition government with three smaller parties.
Wrangling over a coalition generated weeks of tensions after the 2007 elections.
Following the end of Portuguese rule in 1975, East Timor was occupied by Indonesia for 24 years. Some 183,000 people died from fighting, disease and starvation before the half-island state voted for independence in 1999.
The country has offshore fields of oil and natural gas and its Petroleum Fund has swelled to US$10 billion, but corruption is endemic.
Half of East Timor’s 1.1 million people are officially classified as living in poverty, posing the main challenge for the future government.
“The biggest risk is poverty,” East Timorese President Tamar Matan Ruak, who has backed the CNRT, said on Saturday after casting his vote. He beat Nobel laureate Jose Ramos-Horta in the recent presidential polls.
CNRT campaigned on a platform of longer-term investment on major infrastructure projects such as roads, electricity and water.
Fretilin, which is synonymous with the pro-independence struggle, pledged to spend oil revenues to lift income and education levels.
The polls are a test of whether East Timor, which celebrated a decade of formal independence in May, is ready to take on its own security.
A 450-strong International Stabilisation Force — made up of troops from New Zealand and Australia — is also awaiting the outcome of the poll before finalizing a pullout.
The UN Integrated Mission in East Timor — with a total current military, police and civilian force of about 3,000 — was deployed in 2006 with a mandate to restore security after a political crisis in which dozens were killed and tens of thousands displaced.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures