Gunmen riddled the car of Yemen’s information minister with bullets as he left a Cabinet meeting in the capital on Tuesday, but he escaped the assassination attempt unhurt, an aide said.
In southern Yemen, at least 12 al-Qaeda militants, including four local leaders, were killed in a US strike in south Yemen.
Both incidents highlighted the multiple security problems in Yemen that have alarmed regional power Saudi Arabia and the US.
In Sana’a, the capital, unidentified assailants opened fire on Yemeni Information Minister Ali al-Amrani’s car as he prepared to leave after a Cabinet meeting. The minister was not hurt, according to his secretary, Abdel-Basset al-Qaedi.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack on Amrani, who quit outgoing Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s ruling General Peoples Congress (GPC) party following the outbreak of protests against his long rule and joined the opposition.
He was named information minister in a coalition government between the opposition and the GPC after Saleh signed a deal to transfer power to his deputy, Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, in a move aimed at averting civil war.
In southern Yemen, between 12 and 15 people were killed in the aerial attack on militants traveling in two vehicles, a tribal leader said. The dead included at least four leaders of Yemen-based al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, he said.
Residents said the strike hit the militants overnight east of Lawdar in Abyan Province. No civilians were hurt, they said.
“This can be considered as one of the biggest American strikes because it targeted a large number of al-Qaeda leaders at the same time,” the tribal leader, who declined to be identified, said by telephone.
“Unlike in previous attacks, this one seems to have achieved its goals and, unlike previous attacks, it did not result in civilian casualties,” the leader said.
In one of the deadliest strikes in late 2009, more than 40 civilians, including women and children, died in an air strike that Washington said had targeted al-Qaeda.
One Western official said Tuesday’s strike was carried out by a mix of US military aircraft, suggesting it did not solely include unmanned drones.
US President Barack Obama’s administration does not usually openly discuss covert strikes by drones and other military assets in Yemen and places such as Pakistan.
Al-Qaeda militants have regrouped in the mountains of Yemen after suffering blows in Saudi Arabia and Iraq over the past few years. They exploited months of protests against Saleh last year to broaden their hold on swathes of territory in Yemen’s south.
Tribal leaders said one of those killed was Abdel-Munem al-Fatahani, who was wanted over attacks on the US destroyer Cole in 2000 and a French oil tanker in 2002.
Militants denied that Fatahani or any local al-Qaeda leader was killed and said only foot soldiers died. However, a tribal chief and witnesses insisted Fatahani was among the dead, saying the militants had closed off the areas and quickly buried the dead.
Separately, tribesmen kidnapped six foreign aid workers from a tourist area west of Sana’a on Tuesday. State news agency Saba said those abducted were a German, a Colombian, an Iraqi, a Palestinian and two Yemenis.
The six worked for the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, office spokeswoman Elisabeth Brys said in Geneva.
CLOSELY TRACKED: A US officer said that the warplanes were watched as they flew from Russia by way of Iran and Syria to Libya and were photographed multiple times The US Africa Command flatly rejected Russian claims that Moscow did not deploy fighter jets to Libya, saying on Friday that the 14 aircraft flown in reflect Russia’s long-term goal to establish a foothold in the region that could threaten NATO allies. US Brigadier General Gregory Hadfield, deputy director of intelligence, said that the US tracked the MiG-29s and Su-24 fighter bombers flown in by Russian military, passing through Iran and Syria before landing at Libya’s al-Jufra air base. The base is the main forward airfield for Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and his self-styled Libyan National Army, which has been waging an
‘SACRIFICED’: Hu Weifeng became the sixth doctor to die from COVID-19 at Wuhan Central Hospital, where calls to raise the alarm over the virus were suppressed The death of a Chinese doctor at Wuhan’s “whistle-blower hospital” has prompted a wave of anger at hospital authorities for not protecting front-line health workers in the face of the COVID-19 outbreak. Hu Weifeng (胡衛鋒), 42, a urologist at Wuhan Central Hospital where the whistle-blower ophthalmologist Li Wenliang (李文亮) worked, died of the virus on Tuesday after a four-month battle. Hu is the sixth doctor from his hospital killed by the virus. Another doctor who spoke out, Ai Fen (艾芬), said that authorities told hospital staff not to wear protective gear so as not to cause panic and reprimanded her for “harming
Singapore’s otters, long adored by the city-state’s nature lovers, are popping up in unexpected places during the COVID-19 lockdown, but their antics have angered some and even sparked calls for a cull. With the streets empty, the creatures have been spotted hanging out by a shopping center, scampering through the lobby of a hospital and even feasting on pricey fish stolen from a pond. While many think of tiny Singapore as a densely populated concrete jungle, it is also relatively green for a busy Asian city, and has patches of rainforest, fairly clean waterways and abundant wildlife. There are estimated to be about
Indonesian officials are forcing people who break social distancing rules to recite Koran verses, stay in “haunted” houses and submit to public shaming on social media as the country battles to contain surging novel coronavirus infections. The Southeast Asian archipelago began deploying about 340,000 troops across two dozen cities to oversee enforcement of measures aimed at halting transmission of the disease, such as wearing masks in public. However, provincial leaders are buttressing these efforts with their own zealous campaigns to fight the coronavirus. Police in western Bengkulu Province have assembled a 40-person squad to find lockdown scofflaws and force them to wear