Snow blanketed eastern Turkey yesterday, complicating rescue efforts and bringing more misery for the thousands left homeless by a devastating earthquake as the death toll surged past 500.
Ninety-one hours after disaster struck in the eastern province of Van, rescuers pulled a 19-year-old from the rubble in the town of Ercis, but the prospects of finding more people alive were fading fast.
After the government acknowledged failings in the initial rescue efforts, help from abroad was beginning to arrive, including an aid plane from Israel.
However, in a sign of the disillusionment with the help they had received so far, some families who had been staying in tents began returning to their homes despite warnings that they were still at risk of collapse from aftershocks.
Many families have been forced to sleep in overcrowded tents or even out in the open around fires as the temperatures drop to below freezing.
In its latest damage assessment bulletin, the prime minister’s emergency unit said that 523 people were now known to have died after the magnitude 7.2 quake struck. An estimated 1,650 had been injured in the disaster, it added.
A total of 185 people had been pulled out of the wreckage, officials said.
The latest survivor to have beaten the odds, a student named Mohammed, was rescued from the rubble of a five-story building, NTV news channel reported. He was rescued by an emergency crew who traveled to Ercis from Malatya, a distance of about 570km.
However, with the hopes of finding more survivors receding, attention was increasingly focused on how to help those who had lost their homes.
The arrival of an Israeli plane carrying five prefabricated homes to provide shelter was a powerful symbol of the change of heart by the government which had initially refused help from abroad.
Relations between Turkey and Israel have been toxic in recent months in the wake of a deadly raid by Israeli commandos last year on an aid vessel bound for the Gaza Strip.
“Three more planes loaded with aid supplies will come to Turkey within two days,” Nizar Amer, an official from the Israeli embassy in Ankara, told the Anatolia news agency.
A 150-person rescue team from Azerbaijan was already in the quake zone, becoming the first foreign group to show up in the earthquake region in eastern part of the country.
“Turkey’s pain is our pain. We are very sad with what we have seen here,” 24-year-old Ramil Aliyev from the Azerbaijani firefighter team said.
“My team has recovered 18 survivors from the rubble, but mostly we have been bringing bodies,” he said.
After widespread overnight snowfalls in the region, forecasters said that the weather pattern would remain the same until the end of the week.
Huseyin Celik, deputy head of the governing Justice and Development Party (AKP), said that the earthquake had affected 700,000 people in the region and a total of 115,000 tents were needed.
There have been frequent complaints among residents of the mainly Kurdish region that the Ankara government would have acted faster if disaster had struck elsewhere.
“We did not discriminate between Turks, Kurds or Zaza people ... We said that they are all our people,” Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday as he defended his government’s handling of the aid operation.
However, the revelation from the Turkish Red Crescent that 17 aid trucks had been raided highlighted the sense of despair among survivors.
Ahmet Lutfi Aker, the national head of the organization, said the trucks had been looted both in the provincial capital, Van, and in Ercis.
Locals in Ercis recounted seeing the driver of one of the trucks assaulted before his attackers made off with food and blankets.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”