Indonesia’s counterterrorism police yesterday arrested five people in connection with a suicide bombing of a mosque in April, a spokesman said.
Heru Komarudin, a 31-year-old man, was arrested by Detatchment 88, an elite counterterrorism police unit, at a market in central Jakarta in the early hours of the morning, national police spokesman Anton Bachrul Alam said.
“We saw on his mobile phone he had been calling this one number a lot. We traced that number to a house in Bekasi [near Jakarta] and arrested two men and their wives,” Alam said without identifying the four. “All five arrested today are being questioned by police.”
Komarudin was one of five suspects linked to the bombing in Cirebon, more than 200km east of Jakarta, which wounded dozens, six of them seriously.
On April 15, Mohammed Syarif, 32, detonated explosives strapped to his body at a mosque within a police station during a Friday prayer service.
The dozens wounded in the explosion — who were mostly policemen, including the Cirebon police chief — were found with nails, nuts and bolts lodged in their bodies.
Another suspect on the same wanted list, Achmad Yosepa Hayat, executed an almost identical attack on a packed church in Solo, a city in central Java, on Sept. 25, injuring dozens of people with a similar explosive.
The Cirebon attack was the first suicide bombing inside a mosque in the world’s largest Muslim-majority nation of 240 million people.
Beni Asri, another listed suspect, was arrested on Monday, leaving two suspects at large.
The attack highlighted a shift from larger organized terror networks, which have been weakened by Detatchment 88’s long bloody crackdown, to smaller connected terror cells that execute lower-impact attacks.
The attack also exposed Cirebon as a new hotbed for terrorism.
Indonesia has struggled to deal with the threat of homegrown Islamist militants who oppose the country’s secular, democratic system and want to create a caliphate across much of Southeast Asia.
A series of bombings in the past decade have been blamed on regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah, including the 2002 Bali bombings which killed 202 people.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference