Up to 15 people were killed yesterday after Iraqi security forces fought gunmen and suicide bombers who had seized hostages during attacks on a local government compound and a police station in Anbar Province, officials and police sources said.
Gunmen set off at least two explosions at around 10am before overruning the al-Baghdadi police headquarters, which is in a compound that also houses the office of the town’s mayor.
One bomber detonated his explosives outside the compound, while other attackers disguised in army uniforms stormed in and took several people hostage, holding them in a police station.
Iraqi security forces finally overcame the insurgents by about 12:30pm, officials said, and found the police chief Lieutenant Colonel Sadiq al-Obeidi dead.
It was not immediately clear whether the casualties came from the initial attack on the government compound or the fighting that followed as security personnel retook the site.
Mohammed Fatehi, the Anbar governor’s spokesman, said eight people had been killed, while the Anbar governor said seven people had died. However, police sources said at least 13 people were killed in the attacks, not including the bombers.
Military and police reinforcements had been dispatched to the town, which lies 150km northwest of Baghdad in predominantly Sunni Anbar Province.
Meanwhile, a police officer in the town of Dolab, close to al-Baghdadi, said a similar attack was mounted on its police headquarters, with two suicide attackers blowing themselves up in front of the station.
A third suicide bomber was detained by police before he could set off his explosives, the major said. There were no casualties as a result of the attack.
Anbar security forces imposed a vehicle curfew in the provincial capital Ramadi from 1pm.
The attacks underscored Iraq’s still delicate security situation as the last US troops prepare to withdraw at the end of this year more than eight years after the invasion.
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference
PAPAL POLITICS? The controversial Australian prelate’s return to Rome comes just days after the pope fired one of his most powerful opponents over a financial scandal Cardinal George Pell, Pope Francis’ former finance minister, is to soon return to the Vatican during an extraordinary economic scandal for the first time since he was cleared of child abuse allegations in Australia five months ago, a church agency said yesterday. Pell is to fly back to Rome today, CathNews, an information agency of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference said, citing “sources close to” Pell. Pell’s return follows Francis last week firing one of the cardinal’s most powerful opponents, Cardinal Angelo Becciu, over a financial scandal. Pell was regarded as the third-highest-ranking Vatican official and was attempting to wrestle the Holy See’s