The credibility of Egypt’s first elections since the overthrow of former president Hosni Mubarak was thrown into question yesterday after a coalition led by the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood threatened a boycott.
A statement late on Wednesday by the Democratic Coalition said its members would not stand in November’s legislative elections if a controversial article in the new electoral law was not amended.
They objected to Article Five of the electoral law, which bans political parties from running in a third of the seats in parliament, which are reserved for independent candidates.
The measure has already been rejected by more than two dozen political parties, who object that it could help return old regime figures to parliament.
“We refuse to take part in elections if Article Five of the electoral law is not cancelled,” the Democratic Coalition statement said.
The coalition comprises more than two dozen groups, including the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party and the liberal Wafd party.
Egypt’s interim military rulers — the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces — announced on Tuesday that the first stage of parliamentary elections would be held on Nov. 28.
However, in an amendment to the electoral law, it said two-thirds of parliament would be elected through a party list under the proportional representation system.
The rest would be elected through a simple majority, which only independent candidates would be allowed to contest.
The Democratic Coalition said they were “astonished” at the Supreme Council’s position.
They had, it argued, “refused the request of the political forces to elect all members of parliament by the closed, proportional lists system.”
Under Article Five, it argued, a third of the seats would be exclusively for “independents and candidates from the old regime.”
The Democratic Coalition and many other political parties have already called for a pure proportional representation system.
They also want to see the activation of a law that would ban corrupt politicians from running for office.
Under the old system, hundreds of candidates ran as independents if they did not make it onto Mubarak’s National Democratic Party lists, only to join the party after winning seats.
Under Mubarak, independents affiliated with his party used patronage or pressure to garner votes, something that the proportional list system would help avoid, the parties say.
Article Five of the new electoral law specifically forbids those elected as independents from joining a parliamentary bloc once elected — on pain of losing their seats.
The military had promised that it would not conduct the election under a state of emergency, which was widened in scope this month after protesters ransacked the Israeli embassy in Cairo and clashed with police.
The controversial emergency law — which has been continuously in place since Islamists assassinated former president Anwar Sadat in 1981 — had been regularly extended under Mubarak’s regime.
A military official has told state media the emergency law could stay in place until mid-next year, although the military wanted to end the state of emergency as soon as possible.
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said on Wednesday she hoped Egypt would lift its emergency law before June next year, speaking at a press conference in Washington with Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohammed Kamel Amr.
“We hope to see the law lifted sooner than that  because we think that is an important step to the way to the rule of law,” she said after the two top diplomats met for the first time.
However, she added that Washington supported the steps Egypt has taken toward democratic elections following Mubarak’s overthrow in February.
Dozens of parties, ranging from hardline Islamist to liberal, have sprung up after Mubarak’s resignation on Feb. 11.
One of the parties granted official status by a government committee was founded by Hossam Badrawi, the last secretary general of Mubarak’s National Democratic Party.
Badrawi resigned a day before Mubarak stepped down.
LIFE GOES ON: After a strict lockdown that left millions on the brink of starvation, Indians embrace work to avoid starvation and get ready for several major festivals India is on course to top the world in COVID-19 cases, but from Maharashtra’s whirring factories to Kolkata’s thronging markets, people are back at work — and eager to forget the pandemic for festival season. After a strict lockdown in March that left millions on the brink of starvation, the government and people of the world’s second-most populous country decided life must go on. Sonali Dange, for instance, has two young daughters and an elderly mother-in-law to look after. She was hospitalized this year in excruciating pain after catching the novel coronavirus. However, after the lockdown exhausted the family’s savings, the 29-year-old had
A COVID-19 outbreak among hundreds of Russian and Ukrainian fishers flown to New Zealand to bolster its struggling deep-sea fishing industry has prompted that country’s largest daily increase in infections in months, authorities said yesterday. More than 230 fishers were flown in from Moscow last week, with 18 of the crew members then testing positive for COVID-19 while in quarantine, New Zealand Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield said. The Pacific nation has almost eliminated local transmission of the virus, but regularly records small numbers of new cases in returned travelers. The fishing cluster pushed the daily tally of new infections to 25,
From monitoring vital signs to filtering filthy air and even translating speech into other languages, the COVID-19-fueled boom in mask-wearing has spawned an unusual range of high-tech face coverings. As masks become the norm worldwide, tech companies and researchers are rolling out weird and wonderful models to guard against infection and cash in on a growing trend. One of the wackiest comes from Japan, where start-up Donut Robotics has created a face covering that helps users adhere to social distancing and also acts as a translator. The “C-Face” mask works by transmitting a wearer’s speech to a smartphone via an app, and allows
JAPAN Deer-edible bags invented The deer that roam Nara no longer face discomfort — or far worse — after local firms developed a safe alternative to the plastic packaging discarded by tourists that often ended up in the animals’ stomachs. Last year, several of the 1,300 deer that wander around the ancient capital’s central park were found dead after swallowing plastic bags and food wrappers. Firms collaborated to develop bags that pass safely through the animals’ complex digestive system. The bags are made with recycled pulp from milk cartons and rice bran, one of the main ingredients of the shika senbei savory