The UN’s top human rights body yesterday voted overwhelmingly to demand that Syria end its bloody crackdown and cooperate with an international probe into possible crimes against humanity.
The UN Human Rights Council voted 33-4 to condemn the violence by Syrian authorities — strongly underscoring the growing isolation within the international community of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad — and dispatch a human rights team to probe alleged atrocities since March.
The countries voting in favor included all four Arab voting members of the council — Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Russia and China voted against, along with Cuba and Ecuador.
The remainder of the 47-nation council abstained or were absent.
In the face of sharp opposition from China, Russia and other nations deeply suspicious of international intervention in a country’s affairs, the resolution was heavily edited — and somewhat watered down — from its original language. The title “Grave human rights violations ...” became, for example, “The human rights situation ...” in Syria.
However, the resolution itself still had a bite. It said the council “strongly condemns the continued grave and systematic human rights violations by the Syrian authorities, such as arbitrary executions, excessive use of force and the killing and persecution of protesters and human rights defenders, arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances, torture and ill-treatment of detainees, also of children.”
It called on Syrian authorities to put an end to all human rights violations to protect their population and to fully comply with international human rights laws.
The council also decided to dispatch a team of human rights investigators “to investigate all alleged violations of international human rights law since March” in Syria, particularly “those that may constitute crimes against humanity.”
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay told meeting in Geneva that “the scale and nature of these acts may amount to crimes against humanity.”
She said some 2,200 people have died as a result of the government crackdown, with 350 reportedly killed since the start of Ramadan earlier this month.
China and Russia said they opposed the measure as unnecessary intervention. Chinese Ambassador He Yafei (何亞飛) said it “will only complicate the situation.”
Syrian Ambassador Fayssal al-Hamwi called the action “100 percent political.” On Monday, he said his nation was “ready to receive” a UN inquiry within its borders sometime “in the near future,” as soon as Syrian authorities finish their own probe.
A UN humanitarian team has entered Syria to visit some of the main protest areas and assess needs for aid, but a high-level UN human rights team wasn’t able to enter for its report.
Meanwhile, security forces killed at least seven people in Homs following a visit by members of the UN humanitarian team, activists said yesterday.
Seven people died on Monday, four of them when troops opened fire to disperse anti-government protesters in Homs. The protesters had gathered in the city’s main square ahead of the arrival of the UN team.
Amateur videos posted by activists online showed crowds of people thronging several cars with the blue UN flag, flashing banners that read: “SOS” and “We will never stop until we get our freedom.” The protesters chanted for freedom and the downfall of the regime.
Residents and activists said it was quiet until the team left, after which troops opened fire to disperse the protest, killing four people. Three more were killed by gunmen elsewhere in Homs, which has become a hotbed of dissent against Assad.
The Local Coordination Committees and the London-based Observatory for Human Rights also reported that security forces stormed several villages in the southern and northern parts of the country, arresting scores yesterday.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of