A proposal to erect a colossal statue of Christopher Columbus on an uninhabited island near Puerto Rico has revived a debate about the fate of a bronze work that has been in search of a home for two decades.
A Puerto Rican legislator submitted a proposal earlier this week to set up the statue on the tiny island of Desecheo, just west of Puerto Rico. The statue is more than twice the size of the Statue of Liberty without its pedestal.
In response, a spokeswoman for the artist said permits were nearly completed to assemble the statue along Puerto Rico’s north coast as originally planned.
However, on Saturday, a new proposal surfaced: San Juan Mayor Jorge Santini said he would consider setting up the statue somewhere in the island’s capital.
“Everything will depend on the conditions,” Santini said. “If it’s viable and appealing for the city and the economy, we will erect it.”
He proposed three sites: atop an old landfill near a busy highway, near a lagoon in the high-end neighborhood of Condado or close to a bridge near the international airport.
The 126m tall statue weighs 599 tonnes and is undergoing a test assembly in the western port city of Mayaguez. It features Columbus at the wheel of a miniature ship with three billowing sails behind him. It was built in 1991 by Russian sculptor Zurab Tsereteli to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Columbus’ 1492 arrival in the Western Hemisphere.
The Columbus statue has been homeless for two decades, with several US cities, including New York, Miami and Baltimore, having refused to accept it for reasons ranging from cost to appearance. Some people have said the arms are too long, the head too small and the one-handed greeting pose silly.
The creation, titled Birth of a New World, has a companion piece in Seville, Spain. It features Columbus standing inside an egg and is titled, Birth of a New Man. Tsereteli’s works have often sparked controversy with their epic proportions and dramatic imagery.
Puerto Rico accepted the mammoth Columbus statue as a gift in 1998, using US$2.4 million in public funds to bring it to the island after a former mayor envisioned it as the main attraction for Catano, a seaside suburb of San Juan. However, officials said it would block airplane flight paths, while residents protested plans to demolish homes to make room for it.
In 2008, port management company Holland Group Ports Investments agreed to take the statue and place it in storage in Mayaguez.
In recent months, welders have arrived from Russia to assemble the statue and make sure the pieces fit together, said Emily Madoff, Tsereteli’s spokeswoman, in a phone interview.
The plan is to erect the statue on private land in the northern coastal town of Arecibo using US$20 million in private funds, she said. The permits to install the statue in Arecibo are still pending and it is unclear where the process stands. Calls to the mayor of Arecibo and other government agencies went unanswered.
“We’re thrilled that there’s so much excitement now about the statue,” Madoff said. “We’ve been working for many years to find a location for it in Puerto Rico.”
However, Madoff said she doesn’t foresee the statue being erected in San Juan.
“I think it’s very flattering,” she said. “[Tsereteli] is thrilled he’s having such a warm reception from the mayor, but it’s large. I’m not aware that there’s enough space in San Juan.”
Legislator David Bonilla said he will keep pushing for the statue to be erected in Desecheo.
It would provide an economic boost for Puerto Rico’s western region, said Bonilla, who envisions pictures, T-shirt sales and even helicopter rides linked to the statue.
He dismissed concerns that the permit process to move the statue to Arecibo is nearly complete.
“Everything is negotiable,” he said. “It all depends on the effort that is made.”
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable