The prosecutor investigating the worst terror strike on Argentine soil, the 1994 bombing of a Jewish charities building that killed 85 people, urged Iran on Saturday to hand over any suspects in the case.
The comments came after an Iranian Foreign Ministry statement said earlier in the day that Tehran, suspected by Argentina of being behind the attack, is “ready for a constructive dialogue” in the case and to cooperate with the Argentine government.
“If the Iranians and their government are ready to cooperate, they should do so once and for all and the only way possible — by handing over all of those accused in this terrible terrorist attack ... and not making statements devoid of content which lead nowhere,” prosecutor Alberto Nisman said in a statement.
Iran said it wanted “to shed all possible light within the framework of the law and to help in preventing the investigation from continuing on an erroneous course.”
Today marks 17 years since the bombing, which Argentine justice officials believe Tehran ordered. Iran has denied such allegations.
Iran “condemns all terrorist actions, especially the one against the Argentine Jewish center in 1994, and declares its solidarity with the families of the victims,” the Iranian statement added.
Israel has pointed the finger at the Lebanese Shiite militia Hezbollah for carrying out the attacks, which the Jewish state believes were masterminded by Tehran.
Argentina has issued warrants for the arrest of Iranian Defense Minister Ahmed Vahidi along with five other Iranians and a Lebanese accused of planning and carrying out the bombing.
Both Iran and Hezbollah have consistently denied any involvement in the attacks.
In the 1994 attack, the bomb that leveled the seven-floor AMIA building also wounded 300 people.
Two years earlier, the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires was hit by a bomb which killed 29 people and wounded 200.
Last month, Argentina’s Jewish community was outraged after a visit to Bolivia by Vahidi, noting that there had been an international arrest warrant out for him since 2007.
The La Paz government, in a letter to Argentina, said it had been unaware of any charges against Vahidi and said Bolivia “had taken steps to ensure that Mr Ahmad Vahidi left Bolivian territory immediately.”
However, Argentine Jewish community leader Aldo Donzis said the Bolivian government’s actions fell far short of what was required under the circumstances.
“It’s a huge farce that the Bolivian government asked him to leave the country after he had already completed his mission,” Donzis said.
“What was called for was not his expulsion, but his arrest,” he said.
Earlier this year, a press report in Argentina claimed that Argentine Foreign Minister Hector Timerman had offered to shelve a probe into Iran’s involvement, which he strongly denied.
The March 26 report quoted a “secret” Iranian memo purportedly sent earlier this year by Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad which said: “Argentina is no longer interested in solving those two attacks, but would rather improve its economic relations with Iran.”
According to the memo, allegedly written after a meeting in January between Timerman and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Buenos Aires was said to be “prepared to drop” the investigation in order to better its financial ties with Tehran.
Timerman said in April that the report was illogical and that Buenos Aires had nothing to gain economically by shelving the investigations.
“Argentina has no embargo against Iran and Iran has no embargo against Argentina, so what am I going to get by forgetting the investigation? What kind of commercial benefit?” he asked.
Argentina’s Jewish community numbers some 300,000 people, the largest in Latin America.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are