Wildfires threatened homes and new flooding forced evacuations in embattled Australia yesterday, as officials warned that last week’s monster cyclone would compound economic woes.
Hot and gusty conditions whipped up by Cyclone Yasi, which ripped into the northeast coast on Thursday, fanned an out-of-control blaze on the outskirts of Perth, endangering about 20 homes.
High winds forced the grounding of water-bombing aircraft and residents in the fire’s path were warned they were in danger and needed “to act immediately to survive.”
More than 150 people fled the roof-height flames for evacuation centers, as the state of Victoria paused to mark two years since the “Black Saturday” firestorm that claimed 173 lives.
Fire-ravaged towns were among those those hit by Yasi-linked flash floods overnight, which forced thousands of people from their homes in Victoria, still reeling from widespread flooding last month that also hit northeastern Queensland.
Mildura — a city of about 50,000 residents — had a year’s worth of rainfall in a single day, swamping 200 homes, thanks to Yasi.
Flooding rains were also forecast for Alice Springs.
Yasi was one of the largest storms to ever hit Australia and Australian Treasurer Wayne Swan warned it would only compound economic woes brought by the Queensland floods — the recovery from which is set to cost an estimated A$5.6 billion (US$5.68 billion).
Tourism would also be hit, he added, with the cyclone region accounting for about 5 percent of Australia’s tourist earnings.
Analysts have put the damage to Australia’s agricultural sector as a result of the recent disasters at A$1.4 billion.
Canberra has announced a one-off tax on higher-income earners to help meet the cost of rebuilding from the floods.
However, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard vowed not to increase the levy and said recovery from the cyclone and fresh Victoria downpours would be funded through spending cutbacks.
“There are no easy choices left now, so in making further budget cuts, there is going to be some pain around and people are going to have to recognize that,” she said.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference