Thousands of lawyers in Tunisia went on strike on Thursday, a week after a police crackdown on demonstrations they staged in support of protesters against unemployment in the tightly controlled country.
Trade unionists said strikes, protests and even attempted suicides also took place in other parts of the country.
In a related development, police arrested a rapper and two bloggers, their families and friends announced, but could not say why or where they were being detained.
The strikes come amid growing unrest following the death of a jobless 26-year-old university graduate who had set himself alight last month in the central town of Sidi Bouzid to protest his lack of opportunities. “Ninety-five percent” of the country’s 8,000 lawyers across the country answered the strike call issued by the national council of their order, Bar president Abderrazak Kilani said.
“No incidents were recorded in the regions, nor in Tunis,” he said. “The lawyers show that they can respond wisely and responsibly.”
In Tunis, lawyers in robes gathered at the main courthouse on Bab Bnet Avenue, where a strong force of police stood guard, but did not intervene.
The national council had called the strike after lawyers across the country staged actions on New Year’s Eve in support of residents of Sidi Bouzid, a center of mass protests against unemployment since Dec. 19.
The council last week condemned the “unprecedented” use of force to “silence the lawyers who are determined to defend freedom of expression and the rights of Sidi Bouzid and other regions that are devoid of jobs and dignity.”
Lawyers were “beaten, chased and insulted” in Tunis, Grombalia, Sousse, Monastir, Mahdia, Gafsa et Jendouba. One lawyer had his nose broken and another had an eye seriously injured, the council said.
Members of the Constitutional Democratic Rally (RCD) led by Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali opposed the strike.
“This has nothing to do with the Bar’s defense. It is a means to gain political ends” in the context of social unrest, pro-government lawyer Mohsen Harbi said.
Most schools were also on strike on Thursday in Sidi Bouzid, but no clashes were reported in a city still in shock a day after the funeral of Bouaziz, unionist Ali Zari said.
The student, who was reduced to selling vegetables for a living, had tried in vain to plead his cause to the local governor, who was later dismissed by Ben Ali.
Late Wednesday a woman and her three children threatened to take their own lives unless she was given a job and a home. Zari said the new governor met her.
To the south in Jbeniana, near Sfax, police broke up a students’ protest. Trade unionists reported one suicide and several attempts.
In Regueb, also near Sfax, jobless Hamed Slimi, 26, threatened to electrocute himself on a utility pole, denouncing corruption and bias in the jobs market. He was reportedly promised a job following his threat.
In the mining town of Metlaoui, which was already hit by social unrest in 2008, unemployed youth Mosbah Al Jawhari set himself on fire and was rushed to a hospital in Tunis, a resident said on condition of anonymity.
And in central-eastern Chebba, construction worker Mohamed Slimane, a university educated 52-year-old father of four, hanged himself on Tuesday, a witness said.
He reportedly suffered from a kidney ailment and was desperate for medical treatment and food for his family.
Rapper Hamada Ben Amor, 22, better known in Tunisia as “The General,” was arrested at his parents’ home in Sfax at 5:30am, his brother Hamdi said.
He became famous after his song President, Your People Is Dead made it to the Internet, which is being used by thousands of youths for its possibilities to express dissent.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses