A prominent Cuban dissident vowed to begin a hunger strike starting yesterday to pressure the government to free the last 13 political prisoners jailed in a 2003 crackdown on dissent, after a midnight deadline for the men’s release passed without any news of their fate.
Guillermo Farinas, who won Europe’s Sakharov human rights prize last month after staging a 134-day hunger strike in support of the prisoners, told reporters he would stop eating yesterday if the remaining dissidents are not in their homes.
That would likely spark deep criticism of Cuba in European capitals, and could set back efforts to improve ties with Europe that have been frayed since the 2003 arrests.
As the deadline approached, wives and mothers of the nation’s most prominent political prisoners marched through the leafy streets of the capital on Sunday demanding that the government honor the deal — or face protests and international condemnation.
However, no word came, and now a standoff appears inevitable between Cuban President Raul Castro and the nation’s small but vocal opposition community.
Castro agreed following a -meeting with Roman Catholic Cardinal Jamie Ortega to release 52 prisoners of conscience held since the 2003 crackdown on peaceful dissent. The July 7 deal called for all the prisoners to be free in three to four months, a period that ended at midnight on Sunday.
A prominent church official expressed surprise at the lack of progress.
“It is not what we thought would happen,” the Reverend Jose Felix Perez, who coordinates Cuba’s Catholic Bishops Conference, said on Sunday as it became increasingly clear no releases were imminent.
Ladies in white
He commented after celebrating Mass for the Damas de Blanco, or Ladies in White, the dissident group made up of family members of the 2003 prisoners.
Cuban officials have declined to comment on the deadline.
At first, the government moved swiftly to make good on the deal, sending 39 prisoners into exile in Spain, along with their families.
Authorities even agreed to free 14 other prisoners who were in jail for violent — but politically motivated — crimes. They, too, were sent to Spain, though the agreement struck with the Church made no mention of exile being a condition for release.
However, progress has stalled recently.
The remaining 13 prisoners of conscience have refused to leave the nation, a direct challenge to the government. Some say they will continue to press for democratic political change the moment they leave jail.
“We won’t stop fighting, whether they release them or not,” Laura Pollan, a Damas leader, said following a quiet protest by 30 women on Sunday on Havana’s grand Fifth Avenue thoroughfare.
Her husband, Hector Maseda, 67, is serving a 20-year term for treason and other crimes.
Pollan said if the government fails to release the men, “it will show that their word has no value, and that they cannot be believed.”
Pollan said the group would step up its protests, though she gave no details.
Elizardo Sanchez, the head of the Havana-based Cuban Commission on Human Rights and National Reconciliation, said the government was throwing away what good faith it had earned in the past few months.
“To not release them would be fatal to the promise given to the church, and a fraud against the international community,” Sanchez said.
Many in Europe had applauded the release deal and the gesture even earned grudging approval from the US, which has been at odds with Cuba for more than a half century.
A delay could set back US President Barack Obama’s long-rumored plans to loosen travel restrictions and make it easier for students, academics and researchers to visit the island nation. US tourists are effectively barred from traveling to Cuba.
Havana calls US criticism of its behavior hypocritical, saying Washington does not have a perfect human rights record either. Cuban officials note the US government is friendly with many regimes accused of torture and other abuses and counts dictators and strongmen among its allies.
Cuba considers all its dissidents to be common criminals and says they receive money from the US for the express purpose of bringing down the nation’s communist system.
As for Farinas, the dissident threatening to start a new hunger strike, officials say his legal problems include violent behavior toward a coworker. They also say he has lived through two dozen hunger strikes only because of the medical attention given to him by government doctors.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big