Scores of former North Korean soldiers who defected to South Korea will this week form a group aimed at toppling the regime with the help of serving soldiers there, one of its leaders said yesterday. Some 200 ex-soldiers will launch the NK People’s Liberation Front on Thursday, said Jang Ce-yul, the group’s secretary-general.
“We still stay in touch with many of our former colleagues in the military, and many of them are fully aware they can’t survive long under Kim Jong-il’s regime,” said Jang, who defected two years ago. “We will provide aid to help them bring down the North’s regime at the hands of the North Korean people and military.”
He said the group would help smuggle publications, videos and other material into the tightly controlled country and circulate them among the North’s soldiers. Jang said Hwang Jang-yop, a former top official who defected to the South in 1997, would be an adviser.
The group plans several projects with current members of the North’s military and anti-regime groups to “weaken the military’s loyalty” to Kim, Jang said. He refused to give details, citing concerns about the security of former military colleagues still in the North. The group said on its Web site it would also release a recently recorded telephone conversation with a senior North Korean army officer on Thursday to demonstrate its links to the military there.
Its members at the inauguration ceremony on Thursday — the anniversary of the founding of North Korea — will also stage a performance simulating the assassination of Kim, the Web site said.
South Korea has numerous organizations representing refugees from the North or campaigning against the regime, but this will be the first to link former soldiers. About 19,000 North Koreans have fled the North for the South since the end of Korean War, the vast majority in recent years.
Meanwhile, the North staged a massive celebration rehearsal for its biggest political conference in 30 years, a news report said, amid predictions that Kim would use the meeting to give a key ruling party position to one of his sons.
Pyongyang has said it will hold a rare Workers’ Party conference early this month to elect new party leaders, sparking speculation that the event would be linked to Kim’s moves to groom his third and youngest son — Kim Jong-un — as his successor. No exact date for the meeting has been provided.
On Sunday, several thousand people carrying colorful plastic flowers gathered in Pyongyang’s main Kim Il-sung square to rehearse a celebration for the party meeting, Xinhua news agency reported from Pyongyang. Some children also rehearsed at a scenic spot at Pyongyang’s Taedong River, the report said.
One Xinhua photo showed a crowd of people packing a Pyongyang street and waving red and pink plastic flowers, while another photo showed people putting up umbrellas and heading home afterward.
The Workers’ Party meeting is its first major gathering since its landmark 1980 congress where Kim Jong-il was confirmed as North Korea’s next leader. He eventually took over power in 1994 when Kim Il-sung died of heart failure.
South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported yesterday that the meeting will start today or tomorrow, citing an unidentified source privy to North Korea affairs.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential