South Korea expressed reservations yesterday about China’s proposal for an informal meeting between North Korea and the US ahead of any resumption of six-party nuclear disarmament talks.
China’s visiting top nuclear envoy, Wu Dawei (武大偉), has held a series of discussions with South Korean officials, briefing them on his trip to Pyongyang last week, a foreign ministry spokesman said.
Wu, who arrived in Seoul on Thursday, said the North supported China’s three-step proposal for the resumption of the nuclear forum, which it quit in April last year.
China wants an informal dialogue between North Korea and the US and preliminary talks to take place before the full six-party session is resumed, the South Korean spokesman said.
“However, our side expressed reservations, saying North Korea should first show a strong willingness about denuclearization and a sincere attitude over the sinking of a South Korean warship,” he said.
North Korea expressed its willingness to resume the disarmament talks to former US president Jimmy Carter, who left the country yesterday after securing the release of a jailed man from the US, state media said.
Tensions have risen sharply on the peninsula since Seoul and Washington accused Pyongyang of torpedoing the ship in March with the loss of 46 lives, an accusation vehemently denied by the North.
South Korea believes the North’s overture for the talks are merely a ploy to dodge its responsibility for the sinking, Yonhap news agency said.
The six-way talks aimed at dismantling the North’s nuclear weapons program involve the two Koreas, the US, China, Russia and Japan.
South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan told Japanese reporters on Wednesday that the North should first disable its nuclear facilities and allow international monitors back to its nuclear complex.
Wu said on Thursday after talks with his South Korean counterpart Wi Sung-lac that six-party talks were still an “effective” tool to achieve peace in northeast Asia.
The Chinese envoy met South Korean Vice Foreign Minister Shin Kak-soo and senior presidential security secretary Kim Sung-hwan yesterday.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures