A South Korean official said yesterday that a torpedo might have sunk a warship near the tense North Korean border but cautioned that the investigation was incomplete.
“A torpedo or a sea mine might have been involved, but a torpedo is a more realistic cause than a mine,” South Korean Defense Minister Kim Tae-young told parliament as divers resumed a search for 46 sailors missing from the 1,200-tonne corvette.
Sailors operating the ship’s sonar detection system had not detected any approaching torpedo, Kim said, adding: “Patience is needed until investigation results come out.”
A week after the disaster, officials are still groping for answers as to what caused the ship to break in two in the Yellow Sea on the night of March 26.
Earlier in the week Kim had said a North Korean mine — either drifting or deliberately placed — may have caused the blast. He did not say yesterday why he now thought a torpedo more likely and did not indicate who might have fired one.
The disputed border was the scene of deadly naval clashes between North and South Korea in 1999 and 2002 and of a firefight in November last year.
The minister told legislators the chances of an explosion inside the warship were slim, although he did not rule them out. Addressing another theory, he said metal fatigue was unlikely in the 21-year-old ship.
Seoul has ordered its military on alert but not cited any evidence the North was involved. Fifty-eight crewmen were saved soon after the sinking, but no one since then. Officials suspect most of the missing are in the rear section of the hull.
After suspending work for two days because of high waves and strong currents, US and South Korean divers yesterday resumed attempts to explore the hull sections.
“It is very hard to say when we will be able to find the missing,” military spokesman Lee Ki-shik told a briefing earlier in the day. “Our rescuers are still trying to get in despite the bad weather, so please be patient.”
No one has officially declared the missing to be dead, even though the air in any watertight compartments would likely have been used up.
Rescuers have pumped oxygen into the hull, but Kim said yesterday the operation “is not working very well.”
Three years after a deadly virus struck India’s endangered Asiatic lions in their last remaining natural habitat, conservationists are hunting for new homes to help booming prides roam free. The majestic big cats, slightly smaller than their African cousins and with a fold of skin along their bellies, were once found widely across southwest Asia. Hunting and human encroachment saw the population plunge to just 20 by 1913, and the lions are now found only in a wildlife sanctuary in India’s western Gujarat State. Following years of concerted government efforts, the lion population in Gir National Park has swelled to nearly 700, according
A rogue overgrown sheep found roaming through regional Australia has been shorn of his 35kg fleece — a weight even greater than that of the famous New Zealand sheep Shrek, who was captured in 2005 after six years on the loose. The merino ram, dubbed Baarack by rescuers, was discovered wandering alone with an extraordinarily overgrown wool coat, and was promptly shorn to save his life. Kyle Behrend, from the Edgar’s Mission farm sanctuary, said that it appeared Baarack was “once an owned sheep” who had escaped. Merino sheep do not shed their fleece and need to be shorn at least annually, as
DMZ SWIM: Over more than three hours, South Korean surveillance cameras caught him eight times and audible alarms sounded twice, but border guards did not notice A North Korean defector wore a diving suit and fins during a daring six-hour swim around one of the world’s most fortified borders and was only caught after apparently falling asleep, a Seoul official said. South Korean forces did not spot the man’s audacious exploit, despite his appearance several times on surveillance cameras after he landed and triggered alarms, drawing heavy criticism from media and opposition lawmakers. Even after his presence was noticed, the man — who used diving gear to make his way by sea around the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) that divides the Korean Peninsula — was not caught for another
The Paris prosecutor’s office on Tuesday said that French actor Gerard Depardieu was in December last year charged with rape and sexual assault after authorities revived a 2018 investigation that was initially dropped. Depardieu was not detained when he was handed the preliminary charges on Dec. 16 last year, the office said. The prosecutor’s office addressed the charges after the case was leaked to the media. Media reports have said that the charges relate to allegations made by an actress in her 20s that date back to 2018. An initial inquiry against the star was dropped in 2019 because of lack of evidence, but