Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez denied on Sunday that he planned to censor or limit the Internet in Venezuela, saying that on the contrary Web use had shot up more than nine-fold during his decade in power.
The South American leftist leader’s calls a week ago for greater controls on the Internet brought an outcry from opposition and freedom of information groups. Some said he was planning controls similar to his allies Cuba, China and Iran.
Chavez, however, speaking on his weekly Alo President television program, denied that, and said he was merely calling for controls against illegal use of the Web, similar to other nations trying to tackle cyber-criminality.
Internet subscriptions had risen from 274,000 in 2000 to 585,000 by the end of last year, Chavez said, while users had risen more than nine-fold over the same period from 820,000 to 7.5 million.
“No one mentions that. On the contrary, the news flies around the world that we are going to finish off the Internet, that we are going to restrict the service,” Chavez said during a ceremony to inaugurate a free community Internet service. “It’s false, of course.”
Chavez said a recent report of the deaths of two allies and calls for a coup against him were what had instigated his concern over Internet use in Venezuela.
A user of news site Noticierodigital incorrectly said earlier this month that a senior minister had been assassinated, prompting some private Web sites in Venezuela to block user comments or heighten internal controls.
In Venezuela’s polarized political environment, Chavez foes have turned increasingly to social networking sites to organize protests and other opposition activities.
“The Internet is a trench in the struggle, because there’s a conspiracy current building up. It’s as if they had a gun, a cannon,” Chavez said. “They use so many pages and blogs, and terms like Blackberry and Twitter, these conspiracy currents.”
Chavez urged his supporters to turn themselves, too, into “soldiers” on the Internet.
The president’s closure of some radio stations, refusal to renew the license of TV station RCTV and pressure on another pro-opposition network Globovision are proof, critics said, of his agenda to stifle dissent.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference