If Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi thought he’d shaken off the furor over his alleged use of escort girls, he was in for a nasty surprise on Monday.
Berlusconi has successfully deflected and sidestepped lurid allegations about his supposed liaisons in recent weeks, helped by some timely international summitry, which let him demonstrate his statesmanship, not to mention his commitment to dealing with the aftermath of the L’Aquila earthquake.
But on Monday it was all about call girls, giant beds and the suggestion of a menage-a-trois, after a left-leaning news magazine, L’Espresso, posted “pillow talk” recordings that an escort said she made during a night with the septuagenarian leader.
The escort, Patrizia D’Addario, claims the tapes relate to the night of Nov. 4 last year.
D’Addario said Berlusconi was entertaining her in the bedroom of his magnificent Rome residence, Palazzo Grazioli. In one fragment of conversation, Berlusconi appears to direct D’Addario to wait for him in bed while he showers. In another conversation, recorded the next day, she protests to Giampaolo Tarantini, the businessman who allegedly set her up with Berlusconi, that she had not received the 5,000 euros (US$7,100) she was expecting.
In a third snippet, it is claimed she confides to the same intermediary that Berlusconi asked her whether next time they met she would agree to a menage-a-trois with another of his girlfriends.
“He said that he has a girlfriend and would like to have me lick this girlfriend,” D’Addario says, according to the posted recordings.
The Berlusconi camp moved quickly to rubbish the tapes.
“This seesaw of gossip is not getting anywhere,” Berlusconi’s spokesman said.
A spokesman for his party, the Freedom People, called the release of the recordings “pathetic.”
An attorney, Niccolo Ghedini, said they were “without any merit, completely improbable and the fruit of invention.”
The content of the conversations was reported in broad terms last month, but the words themselves, some pronounced in what sound like Berlusconi’s distinctively nasal tones, are likely to have an effect no news report can rival.
One of the conversations appears to back claims that Italy’s leader has a giant bed with a connection, as yet unclear, to his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin.
After an exchange in which Berlusconi seems to be offering a present to D’Addario, he says to her: “I’m taking a shower.”
He then asks her to wait on the big bed. She asks which one. He replies: “Putin’s.”
The tapes also include ammunition for Berlusconi’s supporters, however. He has said that he has never paid for sex, and insisted that he was unaware the women who attended his parties were being rewarded.
In the telephone call with Tarantini, D’Addario tells him that things went well, adding: “No envelope, though.”
There is another respect in which the recordings could help Berlusconi. They imply that the 72-year-old billionaire politician, who has had prostate cancer, nevertheless has remarkable sexual endurance. It remains to be seen if that will inspire more admiration than censure among ordinary Italians.
D’Addario tells Tarantini “we didn’t sleep a wink” and when Berlusconi calls her later, she is heard to say that she is not tired even though she didn’t sleep.
“Only my voice has gone,” she says. He replies: “Why? We didn’t shout.”
On the recording, both the voices sound gruff.
D’Addario has given the recordings to prosecutors investigating Tarantini.
French authorities yesterday said that they would close a Paris mosque as part of a clampdown on radical Islam that has yielded over a dozen arrests following the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed. The mosque in a densely populated suburb northeast of Paris had disseminated a video on its Facebook page days before Friday’s gruesome murder, railing against teacher Samuel Paty’s choice of material for a class discussion on freedom of expression, a source close to the investigation said. The French Ministry of the Interior said the mosque in Pantin, which has
LONGSTANDING NEUTRALITY: The US request came as it vied for influence in Southeast Asia with China, but Indonesia has never let foreign militaries operate there Indonesia this year rejected a proposal by the US to allow its P-8 Poseidon maritime surveillance planes to land and refuel there, four senior Indonesian officials familiar with the matter have said. US officials made multiple “high-level” approaches in July and August to Indonesia’s defense and foreign ministers before Indonesian President Joko Widodo rebuffed the request, the officials said. Representatives for Indonesia’s president and defense minister, the US Department of State’s Office of Press Relations and the US embassy in Jakarta did not respond to requests for comment. Representatives for the US Department of Defense and Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi
COVID-19 UNDER CONTROL: The two prime ministers agreed to ease entry bans, and allow short-term business visits and reopen flights between Vietnam and Japan Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, in his first overseas summit since taking office last month, yesterday agreed with Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to step up defense and security cooperation in the face of China’s expanding influence in the region. In talks in Hanoi, Suga and Phuc set up a basic agreement allowing Japan to export defense equipment and technology to Vietnam. Japan has been pursuing such agreements to bolster ties with Southeast Asian nations and sustain its own defense industry. Suga said that his four-day trip to Vietnam and Indonesia would be key to pursuing the “free and open Indo-Pacific” vision
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said that he has no problem with being held responsible for the many killings under his crackdown on drugs, and that he is ready to face charges that could land him in jail, but not charges of crimes against humanity. Duterte’s televised remarks were among his clearest acknowledgement of the prospects that he could face a deluge of criminal charges for the bloody campaign he launched after taking office in the middle of 2016. Police have reported that at least 5,856 drug suspects have been killed in raids and more than 256,000 others arrested since