The rival parties in the Honduran political conflict have agreed to continue searching for a negotiated solution yesterday, after Costa Rican President Oscar Arias proposed a detailed plan for settling the three-week-old crisis.
Arias, who is mediating the Honduras crisis talks, proposed on Saturday that ousted Honduran president Manuel Zelaya return to the country under the terms of a national reconciliation plan, but delay the move at least until next Friday.
Zelaya has accepted the delay, his spokeswoman said.
Arias, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, made the suggestion to representatives of the deposed leader and de facto Honduran president Roberto Micheletti at talks under way in San Jose.
He said the two sides were to meet again yesterday after attending mass.
“We have agreed to continue deliberations tomorrow,” the Costa Rican leader told reporters. “We will meet again at 11am.”
The seven-point proposal envisions Zelaya’s return to power at the head of a government of “national reconciliation,” and the declaration of a general amnesty absolving those who participated in and opposed his June 28 ouster.
Arias’ proposal would also see presidential elections moved up to November, with control of the army transferred to the Supreme Electoral Tribunal a month before so military forces could “guarantee a transparent and smooth voting process.”
But Micheletti has repeatedly expressed his strong opposition to Zelaya’s return or the possibility of the deposed leader serving out the remainder of his term until Jan. 27.
Arias’ proposal would also require Zelaya to “expressly renounce” plans to hold consultative votes seeking to gain support for constitutional changes to terms limits.
His attempts to shore up support for changes to the Constitution was the precipitating factor in his arrest and expulsion from Honduras by the country’s military last month.
The Costa Rican leader acknowledged that “many differences” continued to keep the sides apart and that the parties will have to show “flexibility to bring themselves closer” to agreement.
A diplomatic source told reporters the delegations continue to remain apart on the issue of Zelaya’s return.
US officials have already warned that any attempt to return could jeopardize negotiations between his and Micheletti’s representatives.
“Tensions are very high,” US State Department spokesman Robert Wood said in Washington.
Zelaya tried two weeks ago to enter Honduras on a Venezuelan jet but was prevented from landing at the main airport by Honduran military vehicles parked on the runway.
Zelaya’s strongest ally, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said the ousted head of state would be restored to power.
“Zelaya is going to enter Honduras. Let’s see what those thugs do,” Chavez said, referring to Micheletti’s government.
Rumors have swirled that Zelaya might try to cross over into Honduras by land from Nicaragua, possibly with Venezuelan or Nicaraguan military units.
But Rixi Moncada, a spokeswoman for Zelaya, said the ousted Honduran leader had accepted Arias’ plea for a delay.
“We have have accepted Friday, July 24, as the day when Zelaya should return to the republic,” Moncada said.
Meanwhile, protestors in Tegucigalpa blocked roads on Saturday, including some around the capital. Some 2,000 filled a southern boulevard, yelling: “What’s our president’s name? Manuel Zelaya!”
In the north, altercations between opposing groups of demonstrators resulted in violence that left several protestors with minor injuries.
Honduras’ military was placed on the alert.
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500