India’s first terrorist attack against foreigners has done nothing to dent Mark Mobius’ confidence in the stock market of the world’s second-fastest growing major economy.
Mobius, executive chairman of San Mateo, California-based Templeton Asset Management Ltd, said any stock declines may be shortlived as India’s economy was still “vibrant” and the Bombay Stock Exchange Sensitive Index was valued near the cheapest level on record relative to profit.
AMP Capital Investors also expected any declines spurred by the attacks on two luxury hotels in India’s financial capital to be short-lived.
The Sensex rose 1.1 percent to 9,127.89 at 2:18pm in Mumbai, after falling 1.5 percent earlier. The rupee fell 1.1 percent to US$50.045, the biggest drop in more than two weeks.
“It’s a fast-growing economy and we can’t allow this kind of incident to sway our decisions regarding where we want to invest,” Mobius, 72, said in a Bloomberg Television interview from Hong Kong. “India will rise from this and prosper.”
Stocks also rose after India’s economy grew at a faster-than-expected pace. Asia’s third-largest economy expanded 7.6 percent in the three months to Sept. 30 from a year earlier, after a 7.9 percent gain in the previous quarter, the statistics office said in a statement in New Delhi yesterday. The median forecast of 16 economists in a Bloomberg News survey was for 7.2 percent growth.
The assaults were the latest blow to investors after the worst global financial crisis since the Great Depression sparked this year’s 54 percent drop in the Sensex stock index, the biggest annual decline on record.
International investors sold a record US$13.5 billion in Indian equities this year as of Monday, according to data from the Securities and Exchange Board of India, as global credit losses and writedowns approached US$1 trillion. Investors bought a record US$17.4 billion last year.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete