An Indian doctor who was convicted of withholding information about a botched terror attack on a crowded airport in Scotland last year returned to India yesterday after being deported — and will now face questioning by local police.
Sabeel Ahmed, 26, arrived in Bangalore yesterday escorted by two British policemen, after serving 270 days in jail in Britain.
Airport security whisked him out through a separate exit to avoid reporters and photographers waiting outside.
He is the younger brother of Kafeel Ahmed, an engineer, who drove a jeep into the Glasgow airport terminal building on June 30 last year and set it alight.
Kafeel died later in hospital from 90 percent burns.
Police later arrested Sabeel Ahmed after learning that he was sent an e-mail with details of the attacks from his brother before he drove the jeep to the Glasgow airport — although he did not read the e-mail until after the attack took place.
Sabeel was sentenced to 18 months in jail last month, but was allowed to go free because he had already spent around half that time in custody, and after he had confessed and signed a document stating that he would return to India voluntarily.
Sabeel’s mother, a retired doctor, said yesterday that her son was tired and resting.
“He did not cry, I cried. We are all happy to have him back,” Zakia Ahmed said.
However, Indian police said they were interested in questioning him, as part of an investigation into the banned Muslim group, the Students’ Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
“It could be a routine investigation,” said a senior officer of the Corps of Detectives in the state of Karnataka state.
“We want to examine his role before he left India,” said the officer, who did not want to be named.
SIMI has been blamed for helping to carry out several bomb attacks in India.
Police have arrested a medical student and a software engineer in Bangalore recently, following the arrest of the group’s leader Safdori Nagori and 12 other senior members in March.
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”
A Malaysian student whose cellphone was stolen while he was sleeping has tracked down the culprit: a monkey who took photo and video selfies with the device before abandoning it. Zackrydz Rodzi, 20, on Wednesday said that his mobile phone was missing from his bedroom when he woke up on Saturday. He found the phone’s casing under his bed, but there was no sign of robbery in his house in Johor state. JUNGLE When his father saw a monkey the next day, he searched in the jungle behind his house. Using his brother’s cellphone to call his own device, he found it covered
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after