An unsecured bathroom window allowed a top Muslim terror suspect to flee a high-security prison in February, Singapore’s deputy leader said yesterday.
Singaporean Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng (黃根成) said Mas Selamat Kastari, who was accused of plotting to hijack an airplane and crash it into the city-state’s international airport, planned his Feb. 27 escape in advance.
Announcing the results of a probe into the escape, Wong said Mas Selamat climbed out of a toilet ventilation window before a scheduled weekly visit with his family. The window did not have a grill on it, Wong said, adding that it was “the single most crucial factor which enabled Mas Selamat to escape.”
The escape triggered a monthlong manhunt in which police, special operations officers, elite Gurkha guards and soldiers combed the island nation’s forests amid tightened border security.
Wong said the Commission of Inquiry and the Criminal Investigation Department, both of which separately studied the escape, found no evidence to suggest it was an inside job.
Wong said the guards who escorted Mas Selamat to the toilet on the day of the escape had failed in their duties by not maintaining sight of the suspect when he was in the bathroom.
Wong said the officers responsible would be disciplined, penalized and replaced.
The incident was a “painful wake-up call,” Wong said.
“Complacency, for whatever reason ... had crept into the operating culture” he said.
Security breaches are rare in tightly controlled Singapore, an island nation of 4.5 million people that is a 45-minute boat ride from Indonesia, where Mas Selamat is alleged to have links with the Jemaah Islamiyah terror network.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential