South Korea yesterday reacted calmly to North Korea's threat to suspend all inter-Korean dialogue in protest over remarks by Seoul's top general.
In a first official reaction, the South's defense ministry said it had no plans to respond immediately to the North's message.
"The ministry will decide -- within two or three days -- on whether it should send a reply or not after scrutinizing North Koreans' real intentions through consultations with the unification ministry and other agencies," it said in a press statement.
The North on Saturday called on new South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) head Kim Tae-young to apologize for his remarks that Seoul would strike North Korean nuclear sites should Pyongyang attack it with atomic weapons.
The Korean People's Army (KPA) also warned of a further slide in ties.
"If the South side does not retract the outbursts calling for `pre-emptive attack' nor clarify its stand to apologize for them, the KPA will interpret this as the stand of the South side authorities to suspend all inter-Korean dialogues and contacts," it said.
Tensions on the Korean Peninsula have been rising recently.
The North on Thursday expelled Seoul officials from a jointly-run plant in Kaesong, the most important inter-Korean project and the most visible symbol of reconciliation, just north of the border between the two countries.
The North also test-launched short range missiles off its west coast on Friday.
The test-firing coincided with Pyongyang warning that it could slow down work to disable its atomic plants and the North Korean navy warning against South Korean warships intruding into its "territorial waters" in the Yellow Sea, which are claimed by both Koreas.
Bloody clashes involving warships of the two rivals in 1999 and 2002 left dozens of casualties on both sides.
At a parliament hearing on Wednesday, Kim, answering a hypothetical question of how to react if the North developed small nuclear weapons and attacked the South with them, said the South should find the North's nuclear sites and strike them with precision weapons.
The North's military on Saturday denounced Kim's remarks as "the gravest challenge ever" to inter-Korean ties and "a reckless provocation little short of a war declaration" against Pyongyang.
Kim's office on Thursday issued a statement, saying his remarks contained no reference to "pre-emptive" strikes.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures