Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo has called for an investigation into longstanding accusations that cocoa and coffee boards have embezzled funds meant to aid the producers of the country's lucrative crops, a spokesman said.
Gbagbo has told government lawyers to look into allegations that the boards -- which set prices for crops, oversee exports and provide development assistance -- have used export profits for their own gain rather than for projects to benefit farmers as required by law, according to a statement read by government spokesman Gervais Coulibaly on national television late on Friday.
Ivory Coast, the world's largest cocoa producer and a major coffee supplier, has managed to continue a healthy export business despite being split in two when an attempted coup in 2002 sparked civil war and during the last three years of languishing peace deals -- each promising to bring elections and restore democratic rule. Under the latest deal, elections are planned for late next year.
International analysts have long said that the cocoa sector was rife with corruption, and London-based activist group Global Witness issued a report in June charging that more than US$118 million in cocoa funds were used to fund both the government's and the rebels' war efforts.
Hundreds of Ivorian cocoa growers have demonstrated for weeks, demanding to see more of the export profits, and local newspapers alleged that money supposedly sent abroad to build factories has disappeared.
"They don't give account of their management. They are rich. They can look after their children and send them to school in Europe. During the same time, producers have gotten poorer and can't pay to send their kids to school," said Bile Bile, head of a group of discontented cocoa producers.
Last month, the World Bank called for Ivory Coast's government to reform the sectors to increase wages in the plantations.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
BEYOND CULTURE: The US State Department was expected to announce that the Chinese government-funded institutes would have to register as foreign missions US President Donald Trump’s administration is increasing scrutiny of a long-established Chinese-government funded program that is dedicated to teaching Chinese language and culture in the US and other nations, the latest escalation of tensions with Beijing. The US Department of State was expected to announce as soon as yesterday that Confucius Institutes in the US — many of which are based on college campuses — would have to register as “foreign missions,” according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified. The designation would amount to a conclusion that the institutes are “substantially owned or effectively controlled” by