Afghan forces admitted yesterday that the Taliban had captured a district in mountainous southern Afghanistan in the latest upsurge of rebels strikes that have killed scores of people.
Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry announced that 10 civilians and up to 60 Taliban were killed in days of fighting in Uruzgan Province but rejected claims by locals that dozens more were killed in NATO bombing raids.
The insurgents said they captured mountainous Myanishen district in the Kandahar Province late on Monday.
The ministry said yesterday that police had left the area.
"It was a temporary tactical withdrawal," interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary said. "We plan to retake the district by launching an operation."
He dismissed a claim by the Taliban that 10 policemen were killed.
Taliban spokesman Yousuf Ahmadi said the police had fled into the mountains after being under siege for two days.
"Finally last night at 10pm we totally captured the district center," he said.
The rebels were in control of the district administration offices and had taken possession of government vehicles and weapons.
The insurgents -- waging a battle to reclaim Afghanistan, which was governed by the Taliban between 1996 and 2001 -- have overrun several district centers in the south and west but have usually been pushed out after a few days.
They have however have held for months Musa Qala district in Helmand Province, which adjoins Uruzgan and Kandahar, and are said to control several others in the area.
The captured district adjoins Chora in Uruzgan Province where local officials alleged on Monday that scores of civilians were killed in three days of fighting, including NATO bombardments, to dislodge a group of Taliban.
Bashary said yesterday 10 civilians and four policemen had been killed by the Taliban and "50 to 60 enemy elements" were also dead. He said claims that scores more civilians died in bombing raids were "not true."
Uruzgan provincial council chief Mawlawi Hamdullah said late on Monday accounts from the area suggested around 60 civilians may have been killed, most of them in bombing raids.
"We may be able in course of days to determine the exact number of dead and wounded. Now we can only talk about estimation," he said.
About 100 people were in a hospital in the provincial capital Tirin Kot but there were others wounded who were not able to leave Chora, he said, calling for helicopters to be sent to the district to airlift them out.
NATO's International Security Assistance Force said late on Monday it had no reports of civilian deaths but believed around 50 to 60 Taliban may have been killed.
"The fighting in Uruzgan still goes on," spokesman Major John Thomas said yesterday. "About civilians, there is nothing new since last night. But Taliban are mainly responsible for the civilian casualties."
Unrest linked to the Taliban insurgency has peaked in the past few days with the insurgents' deadliest attack in Kabul on Sunday killing 35 people, most of them police training instructors.
It was the fifth suicide bombing in three days. Most were aimed at foreign troops but killed more civilians, who are increasingly becoming victims in the fight for Afghanistan.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative