A group of Hong Kong activists on yesterday called on the head of a pro-Beijing political party to apologize for the recent remarks he made over China's 1989 Tiananmen democracy protest.
Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China printed a half-page advertisement in several Chinese-language newspapers yesterday over the remarks made by Ma Lik (
"Do not twist the truth of June 4. [We] demand Ma Lik to make an open apology," read the advertisement, published a day before a vigil to be held to commemorate those who died during the democracy movement.
PHOTO: AFP
The Chinese government sent troops into Beijing's Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989, to quell six weeks of peaceful democracy protests, leading to the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of students and civilians.
Ma, chairman of the pro-Beijing Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, said last month he was not happy that the event had been described as a "massacre."
His remarks immediately drew fire from the families of victims, as well as activists and politicians here. Ma later admitted his comments were "frivolous" and "rash."
The newspaper advertisement said the Alliance strongly protested Ma's "cold-blooded" and "shameless" remarks.
"We strongly demand that Ma Lik admits his mistakes and openly apologizes to the June 4 victims, the disabled people and the families," it said.
Yesterday, more than 100 members from the Alliance and the public ran a marathon across Hong Kong to mark the 18th anniversary of the demonstration and also demand that Chinese authorities make an apology over the event.
They also laid flowers at China's representative office in the special administrative region to commemorate those who died during the protest.
The killing was widely documented in Hong Kong newspapers and TV, with pictures and footage of troops opening fire on university students and the public.
Beijing has never apologized over the incident and has said previously the military action was necessary to prevent a counter-revolutionary uprising.
The bloody crackdown continues to be a taboo subject in China.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told