The UN blamed the Philippine military yesterday for many of the political murders that have rocked the country and pressed President Gloria Arroyo to rein in the amount of bloodshed.
Wrapping up an investigation into what rights groups say are more than 800 political assassinations, UN special envoy Philip Alston said many of the killings stemmed from the military's campaign against left-wing guerrillas.
Alston said the government was responsible for a climate of impunity but said he did not have evidence to support allegations by the nation's leading human-rights group that Arroyo had ordered or condoned the murders.
"The increase in extrajudicial executions in recent years is attributable, at least in part, to a shift in the military's counter-insurgency strategy," Alston told reporters.
"In some areas, an appeal to hearts and minds is combined with an attempt to vilify left-leaning organizations and to intimidate leaders of such organizations," he said.
"In some instances, such intimidation escalates into extrajudicial executions," he said -- adding that many of the killings had been "convincingly attributed" to the military, which he said was in "almost total denial."
Philippine forces have been battling for decades against communist insurgents who effectively control parts of this vast island nation and fund their activities by extorting "taxes" from shops and businesses.
Local rights group Karapatan says more than 830 people have been murdered for political motives since Arroyo came to power in 2001 -- many of them leftists, and some of them accused by the army of links to the guerrillas.
The military, one of the most powerful institutions in the country, has accused rights groups of inflating the numbers of victims and said that many of those listed as dead were guerrillas killed in clashes with the armed forces.
But Alston said that, while leftist organizations were also guilty of propaganda, most of the cases they presented "proved credible under cross-examination."
He declined to give an overall tally of the killings but said: "I am certain the number is high enough to be distressing."
Lieutenant Colonel Bartolome Bacarro, a military spokesman, said at least four soldiers were being investigated, and that one had been officially charged, but declined to comment when asked if Alston's remarks were unfair.
The Australian-born lawyer, who met Arroyo and members of her Cabinet as well as families of victims during his almost two-week mission, said he did not think that orders for the murders had come from on high.
"I do not believe that there is a policy at the top designed to, or which directs, that these killings take place," Alston said.
"I am clear on that," he added.
Alston, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, said Arroyo should persuade the military to improve its reputation "by acknowledging the facts and take genuine steps to investigate."
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
BEYOND CULTURE: The US State Department was expected to announce that the Chinese government-funded institutes would have to register as foreign missions US President Donald Trump’s administration is increasing scrutiny of a long-established Chinese-government funded program that is dedicated to teaching Chinese language and culture in the US and other nations, the latest escalation of tensions with Beijing. The US Department of State was expected to announce as soon as yesterday that Confucius Institutes in the US — many of which are based on college campuses — would have to register as “foreign missions,” according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified. The designation would amount to a conclusion that the institutes are “substantially owned or effectively controlled” by