Democrats unveiled a resolution on Monday that would formally express the House's disapproval of US President George W. Bush's troop buildup in Iraq, beginning an intense debate and political struggle that is to end in a vote on Friday.
The nonbinding resolution, two simple clauses that also express support for the troops, is expected to pass with overwhelming Democratic support but also with a bloc of votes from Republicans increasingly disenchanted with the administration's Iraq policy.
"I'm just not convinced that deploying 20,000 additional troops is going to resolve anything favorable for us," said Republican Representative Howard Coble of North Carolina, who estimated that 20 to 25 Republicans would vote for the resolution, although other estimates ran higher.
Republicans who take umbrage at those who break ranks, he said, need to face political reality.
"We lost our majority in the Congress last November primarily because of the issue of the Iraq war," he said, adding that telephone calls and letters to his office were critical of the conduct of the war by a ratio of 10 to 1.
Republican leaders tried to hold the line.
In an interview on Monday with C-Span, Bush suggested that he would not be focused on the week's discussions on Capitol Hill.
"In terms of watching the debate, I've got a lot to do," he said. "It's not as if the world stops when the Congress does."
Representative John Boehner, the Republican leader, said the Democrats' resolution was "the first step in the Democrats' plan to cut off funding for American troops who are in harm's way."
He urged consideration of an alternative resolution that renounces any cuts in financing.
Democrats scoffed at the Republican charges as an attempt to distract from the fundamental debate over Bush's war strategy.
"They're trying to do everything but focus on the policy," said Representative Rahm Emanuel of Illinois, chairman of the Democratic Caucus. "The more there's a focus on the escalation, the more they lose Republicans."
Democrats were planning 36 hours of floor debate, beginning yesterday, showcasing military veterans.
Party leaders expressed confidence that "a strong majority of the House" would vote for the resolution, said Brendan Daly, spokesman for Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Democrats were intent on avoiding the procedural and political stalemate that stymied debate over Iraq in the Senate last week; in the House, the Democratic majority has much greater control over what legislation comes to a vote, and Democratic leaders intended to use it.
They are expected to block a vote on a Republican alternative.
The House resolution is co-sponsored by Ike Skelton, chairman of the Armed Services Committee; Tom Lantos, chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee; and Walter Jones of North Carolina, a longtime Republican critic of the war.
It declares the House to be resolved that "Congress and the American people will continue to support and protect the members of the United States Armed Forces who are serving or who have served bravely and honorably in Iraq" and that "Congress disapproves of the decision of President George W. Bush announced on January 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq."
Both sides foreshadowed a bitter debate.
Republican talking points, circulated in the House, warn that a "nonbinding resolution weakens morale" and "gives comfort to the enemy."
But for many lawmakers, this will also be an intensely personal choice. Republican Representative Wayne Gilchrest of Maryland said he had no qualms with breaking with his party on this issue. He had attended 21 funerals in his district for service members who died in Iraq or Afghanistan, he said. Two more were scheduled for this week.
"This is not about my party," said Gilchrest, who received a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star as a Marine in Vietnam. "This is not about party politics. This is about your conscience, your soul, your mind, your heart, your gut."
PASTA PUNCHLINE: Billy McLean’s spoof poking fun at misinformation on the coronavirus was meant for friends, but is being eaten up by frazzled Britons It started off as an ad-libbed joke for some friends in a soccer banter group and ended up being heard by vast numbers of Britons within hours. However, the man responsible for a joke WhatsApp audio clip that claimed the UK Ministry of Defence was about to requisition Wembley Stadium to cook the world’s biggest lasagna has said his viral success also shows the risks of believing everything that gets sent to you on the messaging service. Billy McLean, a 29-year-old Londoner who works in software sales, came forward to the Guardian to identify himself as the creator of the much-shared clip
‘AN HONORABLE TASK’: The brigade to Italy is the sixth contingent of doctors the nation has sent abroad to aid governments contending with the COVID-19 pandemic Cuba has dispatched doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help fight COVID-19 at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy, it said. The Caribbean nation has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution, with doctors on the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s. Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including