Palestinian militants fired homemade rockets into Israel yesterday, defying Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' calls to halt the attacks.
The Israeli army said two or three rockets fell in the Negev desert in southern Israel, after five hit Israeli territory on Thursday. No injuries were reported either day.
Earlier this week, Abbas criticized Palestinian militants for continuing to fire rockets at Israeli border communities, saying the attacks give Israel an excuse to strike Gaza.
"What is happening in Gaza as a result of rockets fired in vain must stop right now because there is no national interest in this continuing,'' Abbas said on Wednesday.
Dozens of Gazans have been killed and many more injured in recent months, he said.
"For what?'' Abbas said.
Abbas has made similar appeals in the past, only to be rebuffed by militants.
There were no claims of responsibility for yesterday's attacks.
The rocket fire on Thursday by Islamic Jihad militants came shortly after Israeli troops withdrew from the outskirts of Gaza City on Thursday, ending a five-day operation that Palestinians said left 20 people dead and heavily damaged houses, streets and farms. The operation was aimed at finding tunnels and explosives.
The army also dropped pamphlets over Gaza City, warning people that pedestrian and commercial crossings leading out of Gaza would remain closed as long as militants tried to attack them.
Palestinian hospital officials said on Thursday that 15 militants and five civilians died in the airstrikes and gunbattles that began late on Saturday in Shajaiyeh.
After the last troops withdrew shortly after dawn, hundreds of people poured out of homes in Shajaiyeh and nearby neighborhoods to inspect the damage the army left behind. Many houses were riddled by hundreds of bullets fired by the tanks' machine guns.
Water and sewage pipes were burst, and electrical lines were torn down.
Throughout Gaza City, the smell of festering garbage, dead animals and rancid smoke was in the air yesterday, the result of another strike by civil servants to force the Hamas-led government to pay them long overdue salaries.
Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas took to the streets of the city yesterday morning with a broom, sweeping up together with hundreds of Hamas volunteers.
Municipal workers, mainly responsible for garbage collection, water treatment, and sewage processing, went on strike in Gaza City and two other southern towns three days ago, although some, who received part-payment of their wages on Thursday, joined Haniyeh in yesterday's symbolic cleanup.
Civil servants demanding wages largely unpaid since March plan to stop work as of today, threatening to paralyze all government bodies except for hospitals and border crossings.
Haniyeh yesterday urged workers to scrap plans for an open-ended strike, saying the resulting chaos would only benefit Israel.
"I [especially] urge teachers and students to go to their schools to begin the new school year," he said. "We are living in difficult conditions and must be united."
In other developments, a group of Israeli reserve troops have created a mock graveyard for all soldiers killed in Lebanon outside the office of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to protest his handling of the war with Hezbollah.
The protest is one of the most recent displays of public frustration with Israeli political and military leaders over the army's failure to crush the Lebanese guerrilla group.
Late on Thursday, reservists placed 120 cardboard cut-outs of soldiers on a patch of lawn opposite Olmert's office complex in Jerusalem, arrayed in rows like tombstones
The number includes two soldiers abducted by Hezbollah and another by Palestinian militants from the Gaza Strip.
"This demonstrates the disaster of this war and the tragedy for the families," Gidi Kalman, one reservist, said yesterday.
"It is the responsibility of the chief of staff, the minister of defence and the prime minister. They have to take responsibility for what's behind me," he said, gesturing to the cut-outs, which are normally used for target practice.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are