Tens of thousands of people were being moved out of their homes in the central Philippines yesterday in the face of an imminent eruption of the rumbling Mayon volcano, officials said.
With 80 military trucks doing the heavy lifting, the government expected to move some 34,276 people to 31 state-run shelters during the day, Defense Secretary Avelino Cruz said in Manila.
Two more army platoons joined a military force helping in the evacuation and a team of government doctors is on standby to prevent disease outbreaks in the shelters, said Cruz, also chairman of the civil defense office.
"The evacuation is ongoing. It has been going smoothly," he said.
Volcanologists have said an explosive eruption by Mayon, one of the country's most active volcanoes, could threaten the lives of about 60,000 people. It began abnormal activity in February and started emitting small lava flows on July 15.
Mayon has had 47 eruptions in recorded history, the latest being a mild outpouring of lava in June 2001. It buried the town of Cagsawa in the 19th century, killing an estimated 1,000 people.
In Legaspi, city mayor Noel Rosal personally supervised the evacuation of 10,500 residents from four villages on Mayon's lower slopes.
"We are just waiting for them to gather some of their things before we take them to the major evacuation centers," he said, while admitting: "Some are reluctant to leave."
The mayor said the mild lava eruption last month "gave us ample lead time to prepare the evacuation centers" -- mostly schools and other government buildings beyond the volcano danger zone.
They were stocked with a week's worth of food as well as sleeping facilities, while tap water and electricity connections were provided, officials said.
If an explosive eruption does occur for a longer period, "we have enough funds to cover the food, water, medicine and other requirements of this evacuation and tending to the people in the evacuation centers for the next several weeks or months," Cruz told a press conference.
He said 80 tents are on standby to serve as temporary schoolhouses for displaced children.
Mayon's environs were rocked early yesterday by six successive volcanic blasts, followed by a fountain of lava from its crater.
"This signifies that Mayon is almost ready to burst," said Ernesto Corpus, head of the volcanology section of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.
By mid-morning the peak was covered in a dark cloud of volcanic material rising several kilometers above the crater. Television footage showed superheated lava tumbling down the slopes, setting vegetation on fire.
The government's seismology institute yesterday raised a five-step volcano alert over Mayon at the next-highest level of 4, meaning an eruption could occur "within days," Corpus said.
Material thrown from the crater of the 2,460m mountain could threaten anyone within an 8km radius, the institute said in an advisory.
It advised local officials in the central province of Albay to order the evacuation of 28 areas around the mountain, including parts of Legaspi city and the towns of Camalig, Daraga, Ligao, Malilipot, Santo Domingo and Tabaco.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The