About 50 Afghan soldiers were isolated in Taliban-held territory yesterday after coming under attack in southern Afghanistan, a military commander said.
The US-led coalition, however, only confirmed the deaths of four Afghan soldiers in the encounter in southern Helmand Province.
A 20-vehicle Afghan army convoy came under attack in the province yesterday morning, the commander said on condition of anonymity.
Only six vehicles had managed to escape, leaving the remainder behind with about 50 men. The fate of the men was unknown, he said from the scene.
"We may have suffered heavy casualties. It's a disaster," he said.
The coalition could only confirm the deaths of four Afghan soldiers in the encounter.
"This morning [yesterday] coalition forces and the ANA [Afghan National Army] engaged with enemy fighters in Helmand Province. Four ANA soldiers were killed and 12 injured," coalition spokeswoman Lieutenant Tamara Lawrence said.
The top army commander for southern Afghanistan said earlier that one soldier died and four were wounded in the area late on Friday in fighting in which six Taliban were also killed.
The military unit that was attacked yesterday had been moving away from the area of Friday's clash.
The army had called for coalition air support, said southern area commander General Rahmatullah Raufi. Troop reinforcements were preparing to leave for the area, another official said.
A Taliban spokesman admitted that the movement had lost five fighters and said scores of Afghan soldiers were killed.
The latest clash was not far from a major battle that erupted in Helmand's Musa Qala district on Wednesday.
Sixty "enemy fighters" and 16 police were killed in the battle, the coalition said in a statement on Friday.
The Musa Qala battle was one of several major clashes in Afghanistan over the past few days that have left around 200 Taliban dead.
About 25 troops, police and civilians have also been killed, including a Canadian who became the first Canadian woman to be killed in battle since World War II.
Meanwhile, Afghanistan is on the brink of becoming a narco-state with drug cartels now posing a greater threat to the country's future than Taliban insurgents, NATO's top military commander in Europe said yesterday.
Afghanistan is the world's largest producer of opium, the raw material for heroin. The narcotics trade accounts for about a third of its economy.
In an interview published in the International Herald Tribune, General James Jones said: "Afghanistan is teetering on becoming a narco-state."
"It is not the resurgence of the Taliban but the linkage of the economy to drug production, crime, corruption and black market activities which poses the greatest danger for Afghanistan," he said.
Jones was appointed commander of NATO and the US forces in Europe in 2003.
Afghanistan's opium output last year was about 4,500 tonnes and about 90 percent of the world's heroin comes from Afghanistan. Experts have said the huge trade is feeding an escalating insurgency against foreign troops and Afghanistan's Western-backed government.
NATO is planning expanded operations in Afghanistan in the coming months that will take foreign troop numbers there to the highest level since the Taliban's overthrow in 2001.
Jones acknowledged a surge in Taliban attacks in recent weeks but said the country was "not backsliding into chaos."
He said insurgents were testing NATO in areas where drug cartels, organized crime groups, tribes, and Taliban and al-Qaeda remnants felt threatened by NATO's expansion plans.
"They want to see if NATO is up to the test. The Taliban and al-Qaeda are not stupid people. They want to see what they are up against. We are going into places where the scope for crime and narcotics will be dislodged," said the former US Marine commander.
Jones said NATO had begun cooperating with Iran to try to prevent armed drug convoys from crossing into that country en route to Russia and Europe.
"Iran now sees what we are doing on the Afghan side of the border is beneficial," he said.
An uncrewed Chinese spacecraft has acquired imagery data covering all of Mars, including visuals of its south pole, after circling the planet more than 1,300 times since early last year, state media reported yesterday. The Tianwen-1 successfully reached the Red Planet in February last year on the country’s inaugural mission there. A robotic rover has since been deployed on the surface as an orbiter surveyed the planet from space. Among the images taken from space were China’s first photographs of the Martian south pole, where almost all of the planet’s water resources are locked. In 2018, an orbiting probe operated by the European
QUARANTINE SHORTENED: A new protocol detailing risk levels and local policy responses would be ‘more scientific and accurate,’ a health agency spokesman said China’s revised COVID-19 guidelines, which cut a quarantine requirement in half for inbound travelers, also create a standardized policy for mass testing and lockdowns when cases of the disease flare, showing that the country still has a zero-tolerance approach to the virus. Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) solidified the position during a trip to Wuhan, where the pathogen first emerged in 2019, saying that China is capable of achieving a “final victory” over the virus. The “zero COVID-19” policy is the most effective and economic approach for the country, Xi said during the trip on Tuesday, Xinhua news agency reported. The first
‘TOO RISKY’: Palau’s president said deep-sea mining, in which rocks are sucked off the ocean floor, increases the vulnerability of the seabed floor and marine life Concerned about the potential effects of deep-sea mining on ocean biodiversity, the Pacific islands of Palau and Fiji on Monday launched an “alliance” to call for a moratorium of the nascent industry. The backing of a moratorium comes amid a wave of global interest in deep-sea mining, but also growing pressure from some environmental groups and governments to either ban it or ensure it only goes ahead if appropriate regulations are in place. Deep-sea mining uses heavy machinery to suck up off the ocean floor potato-sized rocks or nodules that contain cobalt, manganese and other metals mostly used in batteries. Speaking to a
A flight test of a hypersonic missile system in Hawaii on Wednesday ended in failure due to a problem that occurred after ignition, the US Department of Defense said, delivering a fresh blow to a program that has experienced stumbles. It did not provide details of what took place in the test, but said in an e-mailed statement that “the department remains confident that it is on track to field offensive and defensive hypersonic capabilities on target dates beginning in the early 2020s.” “An anomaly occurred following ignition of the test asset,” Pentagon spokesman US Navy Lieutenant Commander Tim Gorman said in