Police warned yesterday that anti-government protesters could face arrest if they paralyze Bangkok's central shopping district in efforts to pressure Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to resign ahead of weekend elections.
Stepping up demands for Thaksin to step down, anti-government campaigners have called for a rally today at the capital's newest and ritziest shopping malls, which will close for two days during the protest.
"The operators of Siam Paragon, Siam Center and Siam Discovery Center will close the malls on March 29 and 30," company executives said in a joint statement.
The three adjacent malls are home to the most coveted retail space in Bangkok, including hundreds of stores and restaurants, and are a major attraction for tourists in the Thai capital.
The demonstrators plan to camp out until the end of the week.
Lieutenant General Chaiyan Maklamthong, assistant police commissioner, said the protest "appears to be a provocation for traffic police to come and make arrests."
He said police were prepared to disperse the crowd if "a number of people file police complaints."
The protest comes ahead of Sunday snap elections called by Thaksin in efforts to defuse protests demanding his resignation. Opposition parties plan to boycott the election and deepened a political stalemate on Monday by rejecting an offer by Thaksin to form a national unity government if he wins re-election.
Tens of thousands of protesters have held anti-government rallies in Bangkok parks and outside of Thaksin's office almost daily for several weeks, accusing Thaksin of widespread corruption and abuse of power.
Protest organizers hope their new, high-profile venue near Bangkok's Siam Square shopping area will draw more protesters and send a message to Thaksin that business could suffer if he stays in power.
Police say the shopping area -- which is dense with overhead pedestrian bridges and multitiered walkways -- presents a bigger security challenge than previous rallies in parks and open spaces.
"We don't know how we're going to protect the area," said police Major General Wanit Suraphonchai, commander of the local precinct where the protest will be held. "We've told the protesters that it will be hard to take care of them in that area."
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during
Former Chinese ministers of national defense Wei Fenghe(魏鳳和) and Li Shangfu (李尚福) were both sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve over graft charges, state news agency Xinhua reported on Thursday, underscoring the severity of the purge in the military. The armed forces have been one of the main targets of a broad corruption crackdown ordered by Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) after coming to power in 2012. The purges reached the elite Rocket Force, which oversees nuclear weapons as well as conventional missiles, in 2023. Earlier this year they escalated further, resulting in the removal of the top general in
The Philippine Coast Guard yesterday said it deployed aircraft to issue radio warnings to a Chinese research ship in a disputed area of the South China Sea “swarming” with vessels from Beijing’s so-called maritime militia. The research vessel Xiang Yang Hong 33 (向陽紅33), which is capable of supporting submersible craft, was operating near a reef in the contested Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島), which Taiwan also claims, the Philippine Coast Guard said. The Chinese ship was deploying a service boat toward the Spratly’s Iroquois Reef on Wednesday when it was spotted by a coast guard plane, “confirming ongoing unauthorized [marine scientific research]
New Zealand is open to expanding its frigate fleet beyond its current two vessels, with New Zealand Minister of Defence Chris Penk saying “no options are off the table” as the government weighs buying new warships from Japan or the UK. The government yesterday said it is looking to replace its two aging Anzac-class frigates, which were both commissioned almost 30 years ago. The UK’s Type 31 and Japan’s Mogami-class warships are the options under consideration. Speaking in an interview, Penk said there is potential to increase the number of frigates the nation purchases. “We need a certain amount of capability as a