Eight days after the international community hailed Haiti's election, the painfully slow vote count was bogged down yesterday by claims of fraud, protests and delays.
And Haitians will likely have to wait a little longer for the outcome to be announced, after a commission was formed to probe former president Rene Preval's claims of "massive fraud or gross errors."
Preval rejected results based on 90 percent of the voting stations that gave him 48.76 percent of the vote, which leaves him short of the majority he needs to win outright in the first round despite a massive lead over his 31 rivals.
The presidency indicated the final outcome of the Feb. 7 election would not be announced until completion of the probe to be conducted by Preval's party and electoral authorities with the government acting as referee.
Speaking after the UN Security Council and the US and French governments urged Haitians to respect the outcome, the frontrunner said he had explained his position to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan over the telephone.
"We are convinced that we will win in the first round," said Preval, 63, who was president from 1996 to 2001 and who enjoys strong support among the millions of impoverished Haitians.
Local media reported that several ballot boxes were found in a garbage dump outside Port-au-Prince. Television showed pictures of angry Haitians holding up ballots and complaining of fraud.
Preval encouraged his supporters to continue demonstrating their rejection of the partial results, but urged them to do so peacefully and within the law.
Comparatively small groups of demonstrators took to the streets on Tuesday, in sharp contrast with massive protests the previous three days. On Monday, Preval supporters took over the streets of the capital.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative