Haitians were due to vote for a president and a new chance at democracy yesterday although many fear rival armed gangs could wreck the election.
"Haiti's future depends on this vote," Jacques Bernard, Director General of the electoral council said. "Good elections are the only solution to saving our nation."
Exactly 20 years after the dictatorial rule of Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier crumbled, yesterday's vote offers some hope for an end to the coups and instability that have crippled Haiti since then.
PHOTO: EPA
In the most recent uprising, former president Jean-Bertrand Aristide was forced to flee two years ago.
A new round of fighting, however, could plunge the poorest country in the Americas into even deeper chaos.
"People are exhausted by this instability, the lack of security," Gerard Le Chevallier, the top UN official overseeing the election, said on Monday.
Frontrunner Rene Preval draws support from the miserable urban slums and rural areas where his mentor Aristide was strongest.
Preval was also president from 1996 to 2001, an era of relative calm, and he is Haiti's only elected leader to end his term and hand over power peacefully.
"He gave us roads, hospitals, schools. ... He brought us work and there was peace," Marie Claude, a 41-year-old mother of seven said.
Preval has a comfortable lead in opinion polls but needs to win at least 50 percent of the votes to avoid a run-off next month. Officials say it will take three days to count the ballots.
Preval's main rivals are Charles Baker, a successful industrialist, and Leslie Manigat, who was president for four months in 1988 before being overthrown in a military coup. There are 33 presidential candidates including a former rebel in the insurgency that forced Aristide from office in February 2004 and a former army officer accused in the death of a Haitian journalist, but most stand no chance.
UN forces used trucks and even mules to ferry ballot papers to voting stations around the country on Monday.
UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said the 9,300-member UN peacekeeping force "will do all it can to support the Haitian authorities in ensuring that the vote is held in freedom and safety."
Serious logistic problems forced several postponements and, on the eve of voting, officials warned people in TV ads that some polling stations had been moved.
Many Haitians suspect the unelected interim government has tried to make voting as difficult as possible in poor areas to hurt Preval. Some say they were not told where to cast their ballots and others will have to walk several kilometers.
A Preval victory could upset Haiti's business elite and the US government, which in 2004 dropped its earlier support of Aristide and pushed him to step aside.
Security fears forced authorities to postpone the election several times but pro-Aristide gang leaders recently changed tack by backing the elections and telling people to get out and vote.
With that, the level of violence and crime has dropped dramatically in recent days.
Still, experts say Haiti is awash with weapons and that Preval's supporters could turn violent if he loses or if they suspect fraud. On the other side, anti-Aristide armed groups could try to disrupt the election to keep Preval out of power.
PARDON DEBATE: PM Donald Tusk accused President Andrzej Duda of participating with agents of chaos, while Duda insisted his pardon of the two men remained valid Police on Tuesday arrested former Polish minister of the interior Mariusz Kaminski and former deputy minister of the interior Maciej Wasik, who had taken refuge in the palace of Polish President Andrzej Duda, in an escalation of a standoff between the new and previous governments. Duda welcomed the members of the former ruling party into the presidential palace as police went to their homes to arrest them. Polish media reported that the men were arrested inside the palace. Warsaw police gave no details, saying only that the arrest was “in accordance with the court order.” The events escalated a dispute between the new government,
It was the largest building of classical Greece: the palace where Alexander the Great was proclaimed king before he launched a conquest that took him as far as modern-day Afghanistan. The Palace of Aigai in northern Greece was fully reopened on Friday following a 16-year renovation that cost more than 20 million euros (US$21.89 million) and included financial support from the EU. It was built more than 2,300 years ago during the reign of Alexander’s father, Phillip II of Macedon, who had transformed the kingdom of Macedonia into a dominant military power of ancient Greece. Aigai was its royal capital. “After many years
AVIATION SAFETY: Alaska and United airlines fly the largest fleets of Boeing 737 MAX 9s, the same model as the aircraft which had its panel blow out mid-air on Friday The US air safety regulator announced on Saturday it was grounding some Boeing 737 MAX 9 airplanes pending inspections, a day after a panel blew out of one of the planes over the western state of Oregon. The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) “is requiring immediate inspections of certain Boeing 737 MAX 9 planes before they can return to flight,” the agency said on X, formerly known as Twitter. About 171 aircraft worldwide would be affected, with each inspection taking four to eight hours, the agency said. “Safety will continue to drive our decision-making,” it said in a statement. Alaska and United
BORDER ATTACKS: Russia said it evacuated about 300 residents of Belgorod over airstrikes by Ukraine, in the largest evacuation of a Russian city since the war began Russia launched a large-scale missile attack across Ukraine at the start of peak morning hours yesterday, hitting residential and industrial facilities, killing at least one person and injuring at least 30, Ukrainian officials said. Agence France-Presse reported that at least three people died in the strikes. All of Ukraine was under air raid alerts from about 6am with the Ukrainian Air Force saying the country was under several waves of cruise missile threat and in some regions ballistic missiles. “The enemy is viciously attacking peaceful cities,” Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the military administration of Kryvyi Rih, wrote on the Telegram messaging app. Full information