Two senior Saudi princes held an unusual town hall meeting on Sunday with representatives of the kingdom's foreign population to discuss security fears after two months of terror attacks that killed about 30 foreigners.
Participants later said that the meeting of about 50 diplomats and executives of foreign companies and Prince Saud al-Faisal, the foreign minister, and Prince Muhammad al-Nayef, the top anti-terrorism official at the Interior Ministry, was marked more by cordial diplomacy than a hard-headed look at the threat.
"I think it was a wonderful first step," said Georgene Wade, a senior administrator at the American International School of Jidda, "but the audience glossed over the severity of the problem."
She noted that several senior American executives did not tell the princes that their companies had ordered the families of their employees out of the country.
At a brief news conference after the session, which lasted two hours, US Ambassador James Oberwetter said the topics included a need for better training and equipment for Saudi security forces, better security at some com-pounds, more information from the Interior Ministry about threats and attacks, and some means for foreigners to contact Saudi security forces directly in an emergency.
"Many expatriates are going to stay and want to stay, but they are concerned about their security, and they are concerned about their quality of life," Oberwetter said.
But others said that the corporate chiefs, presented with a rare opportunity to air their grievances to two such senior royal figures, used the meeting to focus on lesser problems like the bureaucratic hurdles required to obtain employment visas.
One subject touched on, but not delved into, was whether there should be armed guards inside the gated residential compounds where most Westerners live, and which terrorists have chosen as their targets. Although the perimeters are often guarded by the National Guard, security inside is usually provided by unarmed foreign civilians.
Last week the interior minister, Prince Nayef bin Abdel Aziz, suggested that people from other countries would be allowed to apply for gun permits. But Saud made it clear that any armed guards would have to be Saudi.
Foreign workers are often skeptical of how committed Saudi guards will be to protecting a Western lifestyle in compounds where, for example, women often ride bicycles in shorts, unlike the Saudi women who are normally enveloped in a black shroud.
Several executives stressed that the kingdom risks losing its foreign workers if it does not maintain this kind of life while fighting terrorism. They said Saud acknowledged the problem by saying the Saudi government had yet to find the fine line between making sure Westerners felt secure and curtailing any of their freedoms.
Saud, speaking at the news conference, said he took from the meeting a strong sense that foreigners want to remain.
"It is poignant to know that all of the questions that were asked by the expatriate community were questions dealing with how they can stay, not what reasons they have to leave," he said.
It is difficult to gauge the size of the exodus that might follow the recent attacks, given that many foreigners leave the country each year to escape the Saudi summer. But one indication that many foreign workers will not be coming back is the booming business at moving companies in cities like Khobar, where 22 people, most of them foreigners, were killed in a terrorist attack on two businesses and a residential compound on May 29.
Badrudeen Mousa, the manager at Four Winds Saudi Arabia Ltd in nearby Dammam said that last year at this time his company was moving five or six families a week. Now the company is moving 28 families a week, the most it can handle.
Most of the families are relocating to nearby Bahrain. Some families are so eager to get out that they are not even waiting around for the packers, just tossing the movers the keys and asking them to handle everything.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
BEIJING REACTS: China announced that Hong Kong’s extradition treaties with Canada, Australia and Britain would be suspended after those nations acted earlier New Zealand yesterday announced that it would suspend its extradition treaty with Hong Kong. The move came after China passed sweeping new security legislation for the territory. New Zealand is the final member of the “Five Eyes” intelligence-sharing alliance to take such action after the Australia, Britain, Canada and the US previously announced similar measures. New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Peters said that the new legislation goes against commitments China made to the international community. “New Zealand can no longer trust that Hong Kong’s criminal justice system is sufficiently independent from China,” Peters said. Moreover, Wellington would treat military and technology exports to