A ban on using national funds to distribute condoms could result in an explosion of HIV/AIDS cases in this predominantly Roman-Catholic nation, an international human rights watchdog warned yesterday.
The Philippines has one of Asia's lowest AIDS infection rates, with about 10,000 cases in a country of 84 million.
But Human Rights Watch said the government's refusal to pay for condom distribution means large numbers of Filipinos will be denied access to one of the best means of prevention for those who are sexually active, placing many at risk of infection with the virus.
"The Philippines is courting an AIDS epidemic with its anti-condom approach," said researcher Jona-than Cohen. "The casualties will be millions of people who cannot protect themselves from HIV infection."
The report, Unprotected: Sex, Condoms, and the Human Right to Health in the Philippines, noted that some local officials, like the Manila mayor, prohibit distribution of condoms in government health facilities. Educators are often not allowed to discuss condoms, it added.
Last year, the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines blocked legislation authorizing the use of national funds for condoms and other contraceptives.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo's administration awarded a 50 million peso (US$896,000) contract to an organization, Couples for Christ, to provide "natural family planning" seminars that discourage condom use, the report said.
The report criticized the Philippines for failing to provide complete HIV/AIDS information to sex workers and other groups at high risk of infection. Police use possession of condoms as evidence to prosecute prostitutes.
Archbishop Fernando Capalla, president of the CBCP, refused to comment on the report until he had seen it. But he said the church's preference for married couples' use of natural birth control methods is known.
He said the church believes sex workers should be convinced to seek another livelihood, and that promoting condom use among them would not be right.
The Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan has fully vaccinated 90 percent of its eligible adult population within just seven days, the Bhutanese Ministry of Health said on Tuesday. The tiny country, wedged between India and China and home to nearly 800,000 people, began giving out second doses on Tuesday last week in a mass drive that has been hailed by the UN Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) as “arguably the fastest vaccination campaign to be executed during a pandemic.” Bhutan grabbed headlines in April when its government said it had inoculated about the same percentage of eligible adults with the first dose
MISINFORMATION: The digital giant said there were ‘numerous’ offending videos that were removed from the channel, which has 1.85 million subscribers Sky News Australia has been banned from uploading content to YouTube for seven days after contravening its medical misinformation policies by posting numerous videos that denied the existence of COVID-19 or encouraged people to use hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin. The ban was imposed by the digital giant on Thursday afternoon, the day after the UK’s Daily Telegraph ended Alan Jones’ regular column amid controversy about his COVID-19 commentary, which included calling the New South Wales Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant a village idiot on his Sky News program. YouTube has not disclosed which Sky News program the videos were from, but said there
African nations should build capacity to produce vaccines on the continent and work with pharmaceutical companies to ensure that the raw materials needed to produce the inoculations are available, WTO Director-General Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said. While a waiver on the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights that is being discussed at the WTO is seen as a way to improve the supply of COVID-19 vaccines to the world’s least inoculated continent, Okonjo-Iweala said that only a handful of African countries have the capacity to produce the life-saving drugs. “There [are] a handful of countries — maybe Tunisia, Morocco to some extent,
CAUSE FOR ALARM: The virus has spread through 14 provinces in just a few days despite high vaccination rates, as authorities ramp up containment measures China is confronting its broadest COVID-19 outbreak since the pathogen emerged in late 2019 after the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant broke through the country’s defenses, with cases now in 14 provinces. While the overall number of infections — more than 300 so far — is much lower than outbreaks elsewhere, the wide spread indicates that the variant has been on the loose for some time and is alarming officials who wield the strictest containment measures in the world. It is the biggest challenge for the world’s second-largest economy since the virus was first detected in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December