Opposition forces in Venezuela on Friday delivered paperwork containing 3.4 million signatures gathered to support a referendum to cut short the term of President Hugo Chavez.
The Chavez opposition, all members of an umbrella group known as the Democratic Coordinator, delivered to the National Electoral Council (CNE) early Friday paperwork containing 3,467,050 signatures crammed into 250 boxes.
The paperwork was moved aboard two buses from an opposition center in Caracas, where the paperwork had been stored in vaults for safety purposes, to the downtown CNE offices.
The number of signatures is far more than the 2.4 million minimum required by the Constitution to force a referendum on removing an elected official -- in this case the president -- from power.
Volunteers delivered the boxes under police and military escort starting around sunrise.
"We came here to demand respect for the will of millions of Venezuelans," said Julio Borges, an opposition legislator, who was present when the signatures were delivered.
The opposition collected the signatures between Nov. 28 and Dec. 1. Chavez opponents did not deliver them until Friday because they feared the government would change the rules on how to verify the signatures.
The Electoral Council now has 30 days to check their validity, after which a referendum could be called a maximum 97 of days after the council's decision is recorded.
CNE vice president Ezequiel Zamora said the five-member board of directors would meet immediately to set guidelines to verify the signatures.
Chavez has said that he does not fear defeat in a recall referendum, but rather that a "megafraud" is being cooked to remove him from office, and that up to a third of the signatures are false.
The opposition also collected signatures aimed at ousting 27 legislators that support Chavez. Those signatures will be delivered on Tuesday.
Chavez supporters in turn collected signatures aimed at ousting 37 opposition legislators.
Meanwhile in Washington, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said that US officials were pleased with the development.
"As a general comment, we would commend the peaceful, civil and orderly manner in which the signature-delivery process was conducted," Ereli said. "We think that this shows the Venezuelan people's continued efforts to resolve the country's political crisis are peaceful and constitutional and that they are using the instruments of democracy."
Ereli said that US officials are also "pleased" that observers from the Organization of American States and the Carter Center, run by former US president Jimmy Carter, are overseeing the process.
After five years in office, Chavez, a 49-year-old former lieutenant colonel, has already faced down general strikes -- one in 2001, and the other between late last year and early this year -- and survived a 47-hour civilian-military coup in mid-April last year.
Chavez earlier spent two years in prison in 1998 for his role in the failed February 1992 coup against then president Carlos Andres Perez.
Recent polls peg Chavez's popularity rating at around 40 percent, largely as a result of the popular support he enjoys among the country's poor, who make up some 60 percent of Venezuela's 25 million inhabitants.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big