The EU pushed ahead on Friday with efforts to build its own defense arm but insisted the plan would neither duplicate nor undermine NATO -- a move aimed at quelling US concerns.
EU leaders, wrapping up a two-day summit in Brussels, also welcomed the unanimous support for the UN resolution on rebuilding Iraq while keeping up pressure for a "realistic schedule" for restoring sovereignty to the Iraqi people.
On all other issues discussed at the summit -- from the bloc's future constitution to providing troops and money to help out in Iraq -- little agreement was reached.
EU foreign policy representative Javier Solana told reporters that work would continue on increasing the EU's ability to operate military or peacekeeping missions independently of NATO.
"The EU needs to have military capability. Nobody doubts ... that," he said at a closing news conference. But he added "the relations between EU and NATO are basic relations and nobody wants to question that or damage that."
The US worries the European defense plans will weaken alliance's unity and complains it is being left in the dark by its allies. On Wednesday, a day before the opening of the summit, comments by the US ambassador to NATO, Nicholas Burns, that the plan represented a significant threat to the alliance provoked heated responses from some European envoys, diplomats said.
Burns called a special meeting of ambassadors from the 19 allies to discuss the issue tomorrow, a day ahead of their regular monthly meeting.
But Italy's Premier Silvio Berlusconi, who chaired the EU summit, said he thought there was nothing to worry about.
"I believe those concerns were understandable but now everything has been clarified," he said. "European defense must complement NATO and by no means be an alternative to NATO."
"Nothing whatsoever must put at risk our essential defense guarantees at NATO," echoed British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
In April, on the heels of deep divisions with Washington over war in Iraq, France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg laid out plans for a separate EU military headquarters to run military operations independent of NATO.
Britain at first opposed the plan. But after meeting last month with French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, Blair appeared to warm to some form of closer EU defense cooperation in return for the others dropping the idea of a new building.
The rift over war in Iraq has yet to heal. EU leaders welcomed the support for the US-drafted resolution as a step in the right direction, but insisted on a "realistic schedule" for the handing over of power to the Iraqi people."
The UN resolution confirms Iraqi sovereignty and the temporary nature of US-led occupation, and commits Iraq's Governing Council to set a timetable by Dec. 15 for adopting a constitution and holding elections.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures