The worst fighting in months has broken out between rival warlords in northern Afghanistan, a government spokesman said yesterday. One of the warring sides said the death toll was 60, while the other said it was much lower.
The fighting was about 50km west of the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif. Residents there said they saw tanks and other heavy weaponry heading out of town yesterday, but there was no fighting in the city itself.
Afghan Interior Minister Ali Ahmad Jalali said he and other officials were heading for Mazar-e-Sharif yesterday to find out why the two warlords -- who both claim allegiance to President Hamid Karzai -- were battling.
The fighting came as the Afghan government and UN signed a deal in the capital, Kabul, paving the way for UN and Afghan teams to deploy to cities across Afghanistan to start a much-delayed program to disarm militiamen loyal to warlords.
General Abdul Sabur, a spokesman for warlord Atta Mohammed's Jamiat-e-Islami faction, told The Associated Press by phone that hundreds of rival soldiers were massing around Mazar-e-Sharif.
He said fighters loyal to northern Uzbek commander Abdul Rashid Dostum began battling Atta's supporters about midday on Wednesday, and the fighting continued late into the night.
Sabur said 60 people were killed in the fighting, which involved tanks, heavy artillery and other weapons.
"The fighting is very intense," Sabur said late on Wednesday. "People are very scared. Shops and markets have all closed."
A second Jamiat spokesman, Ashraf Nadim, said fighters loyal to Dostum launched a separate attack in Maimana city, in the neighboring northern province of Faryab. He said it was not clear how many people had been killed there.
However, Syad Noorulla, one of Dostum's commanders, said that Atta's forces ambushed his troops about 50km west of Mazar-e-Sharif, killing three of his militiamen and wounding four.
He said the situation was tense across the area, but that there was no other fighting.
It was impossible to verify either account.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Omar Samad said the government did not know the extent of the clashes and had heard varying death tolls, ranging from just a few to several dozen.
"These battles are the worst we've seen in months," he said. "It needs to be contained before it spreads."
Samad said it was not clear what sparked the clashes, but that it was most likely disputes over land or access to water -- causes of repeated clashes in the past two years.
Both sides are nominally loyal to Karzai's central government, but disputes at a village level often escalate into larger battles, he said.
Repeated efforts by the UN and the Afghan government to mediate a peaceful resolution have failed.
Disarming the tens of thousands of militiamen is essential if the Afghan government is to build and deploy a national army to maintain security. It is also an important step if a NATO-led peacekeeping mission is to expand to regions outside Kabul.
But convincing the warlords -- many of whom are also provincial governors -- to surrender their weapons will be a major challenge. Some are allegedly involved in drug trafficking and other crimes, and may see little benefit in giving up the arms that keep them in power.
The first disarmament team is expected in the northern city of Kunduz on Oct. 25. More are slated to be sent to the cities of Gardez, Mazar-e-Sharif and Kabul later this year.
Attempts last year to disarm militia groups loyal to Atta and Dostum largely failed.
PASTA PUNCHLINE: Billy McLean’s spoof poking fun at misinformation on the coronavirus was meant for friends, but is being eaten up by frazzled Britons It started off as an ad-libbed joke for some friends in a soccer banter group and ended up being heard by vast numbers of Britons within hours. However, the man responsible for a joke WhatsApp audio clip that claimed the UK Ministry of Defence was about to requisition Wembley Stadium to cook the world’s biggest lasagna has said his viral success also shows the risks of believing everything that gets sent to you on the messaging service. Billy McLean, a 29-year-old Londoner who works in software sales, came forward to the Guardian to identify himself as the creator of the much-shared clip
‘AN HONORABLE TASK’: The brigade to Italy is the sixth contingent of doctors the nation has sent abroad to aid governments contending with the COVID-19 pandemic Cuba has dispatched doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help fight COVID-19 at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy, it said. The Caribbean nation has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution, with doctors on the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s. Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including