The biggest multinational troop deployment in the South Pacific since World War II has broken the reign of gangsters and warlords in the Solomon Islands and has given the country a chance to begin cleaning up rampant corruption, its foreign minister said.
Solomon Islands Foreign Minister Laurie Chan told the General Assembly on Wednesday that since the regional mission was launched in July, "security in terms of law and order has been re-established and the government's finances are beginning to stabilize."
In a General Assembly session dominated by denunciations of the US-led invasion of Iraq without UN approval, the Pacific coalition deployment in the Solomons stood out as a model of regional cooperation at the invitation of the government of that crime-ridden island.
The Australian government, which faced opposition at home for its participation in the US-led war in Iraq, also was in charge of the move to crush militias and warlords in the Solomons.
The move was a change in regional policy for Australia, which for decades had stringently avoided any overt military action in its region, fearing it would be labeled a neocolonial power.
But Australian Prime Minister John Howard's government felt the Solomons situation posed too great a danger, and he acted at the invitation of the Solomons' government and with the blessing of all governments in the region.
A 2,300-member Australian-led intervention force was sent to the troubled nation after the Solomons' government pleaded for help to end ethnic violence and ease its economic collapse following a coup in 2000. New Zealand and some other Pacific islands also have contributed police, troops and civilian experts to the force.
Australia and New Zealand have voiced fears that impoverished Pacific nations like the Solomons could become havens for terrorists and international criminals.
Several warlords and militant leaders, notably Harold Keke who terrorized the Weathercoast region south of Guadalcanal, surrendered in August to the regional peace force.
School bullies in Singapore are to face caning under new guidelines, but the education minister on Tuesday said it would be meted out only as a last resort with strict safeguards. Human rights groups regularly criticize Singapore for the use of corporal punishment, which remains part of the school and criminal justice systems, but authorities have defended it as a deterrent to crime and serious misconduct. Caning was discussed in the parliament after legislators asked how it would be used in relation to bullying in schools. The debate followed stricter guidelines on serious student misconduct, including bullying, unveiled by the Singaporean Ministry of
As evening falls in Fiji’s capital, a steady stream of people approaches a makeshift clinic that is a first line of defense against one of the world’s fastest-growing HIV epidemics. In the South Pacific nation — a popular tourist destination of just under a million people — more than 2,000 new HIV cases were recorded last year, a 26 percent increase from 2024. The government has declared an HIV outbreak and described it as a national crisis. “It’s spreading like wildfire,” said Siteri Dinawai, 46, who came to be tested. The Moonlight Clinic, a converted minibus parked in a suburban cul-de-sac in Suva, is
A MESSAGE: Japan’s participation in the Balikatan drills is a clear deterrence signal to China not to attack Taiwan while the US is busy in the Middle East, an analyst said The Japan Self-Defense Forces yesterday fired a Type 88 anti-ship missile during a joint maritime exercise with US, Australian and Philippine forces, hitting a decommissioned Philippine Navy ship in waters facing the disputed South China Sea, in drills that underscore Tokyo’s rising willingness to project military power on China’s doorstep. The drill took place as Manila and Tokyo began talks on a potential defense equipment transfer, made possible by Japan’s decision to scrap restrictions on military exports. The discussions include the possible early transfer of Abukuma-class destroyers and TC-90 aircraft to the Philippines, Japanese Minister of Defense Shinjiro Koizumi said. Philippine Secretary of
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during