An expert panel probing Hong Kong's SARS epidemic said yesterday there were significant shortcomings in the government's initial response to the outbreak of the virus, but did not single out anyone for blame.
At least 300 people died of SARS in Hong Kong earlier this year.
The panel criticized the Hong Kong government for being complacent and not adequately following up rumors of a mysterious epidemic in China's neighboring Guangdong Province late last year.
It also highlighted a lack of communication between the Department of Health and public and private hospitals and doctors, and said some chains of command were ineffective.
The virus was carried from southern China to Hong Kong in February, eventually infecting nearly 1,800 people in the territory. It was spread around the world by air travelers, killing more than 800 people and infecting more than 8,400.
Medical experts say SARS could re-emerge this winter but warn that Hong Kong's healthcare system is far from ready to handle another epidemic.
"There were significant shortcomings of system performance during the early phase of the epidemic when little was known about the disease or its cause, some of which were aggravated by key personnel becoming ill with SARS as the epidemic progressed," said Professor Sian Griffiths, co-chairperson of the government-commissioned panel of 11 experts.
But it added: "The committee has not found any individual deemed to be culpable of negligence, lack of diligence or maladministration."
The panel's decision not to hold anyone personally responsible for the spread of the disease is expected to trigger angry reactions in the community, and legislators are expected to press for an independent inquiry.
The government's initial handling of the outbreak was one of several issues which brought half a million protesters on to the streets in July to vent their anger at the local Beijing-backed government, triggering Hong Kong's biggest political crisis in years.
The panel made 46 recommendations to guard the territory against such future disasters, including setting up contingency plans in close collaboration with neighboring areas, constant communication with the public and making sure all healthcare personnel were alert to potential dangers.
One of the first victims in Hong Kong was a young man who passed the virus to over 100 healthcare workers, patients and visitors at the hospital where he was admitted.
Many doctors have subsequently slammed the government for failing to shut down the hospital, which quickly became the epicenter of the outbreak in the territory.
School bullies in Singapore are to face caning under new guidelines, but the education minister on Tuesday said it would be meted out only as a last resort with strict safeguards. Human rights groups regularly criticize Singapore for the use of corporal punishment, which remains part of the school and criminal justice systems, but authorities have defended it as a deterrent to crime and serious misconduct. Caning was discussed in the parliament after legislators asked how it would be used in relation to bullying in schools. The debate followed stricter guidelines on serious student misconduct, including bullying, unveiled by the Singaporean Ministry of
As evening falls in Fiji’s capital, a steady stream of people approaches a makeshift clinic that is a first line of defense against one of the world’s fastest-growing HIV epidemics. In the South Pacific nation — a popular tourist destination of just under a million people — more than 2,000 new HIV cases were recorded last year, a 26 percent increase from 2024. The government has declared an HIV outbreak and described it as a national crisis. “It’s spreading like wildfire,” said Siteri Dinawai, 46, who came to be tested. The Moonlight Clinic, a converted minibus parked in a suburban cul-de-sac in Suva, is
A MESSAGE: Japan’s participation in the Balikatan drills is a clear deterrence signal to China not to attack Taiwan while the US is busy in the Middle East, an analyst said The Japan Self-Defense Forces yesterday fired a Type 88 anti-ship missile during a joint maritime exercise with US, Australian and Philippine forces, hitting a decommissioned Philippine Navy ship in waters facing the disputed South China Sea, in drills that underscore Tokyo’s rising willingness to project military power on China’s doorstep. The drill took place as Manila and Tokyo began talks on a potential defense equipment transfer, made possible by Japan’s decision to scrap restrictions on military exports. The discussions include the possible early transfer of Abukuma-class destroyers and TC-90 aircraft to the Philippines, Japanese Minister of Defense Shinjiro Koizumi said. Philippine Secretary of
Separatists in Alberta are preparing to submit a petition tomorrow that they said has enough signatures to force a referendum on independence for the oil-rich Canadian province. Polls indicate the pro-independence camp remains a minority among Alberta’s 5 million people, but has hit a historic high of roughly 30 percent. Alberta separatists are also closer than ever to forcing a referendum, riding momentum fueled by intensifying grievances over Ottawa’s control of the provincial oil industry. They have also undeniably gotten a boost from the return to power of US President Donald Trump. After launching a petition in January, Stay Free Alberta, the group