President Charles Taylor submitted his resignation and tapped his vice president to take over the reins of the embattled government as throngs cheered the first West African peacekeepers to enter Liberia's besieged capital.
Vice President Moses Blah said the handover is planned for Monday, but rebel leaders warned that they will not allow any ally of Taylor's to hold power while the war-torn country tries to find a way out of 14 years of bloodshed.
PHOTO: AP
Outside Monrovia, peacekeepers reportedly seized a new weapons shipment from Libya that apparently was destined for government forces in violation of a UN arms embargo.
Residents and refugees poured into the streets on Thursday when more than 100 Nigerian soldiers in the peacekeeping mission drove into the capital.
Nigerian Lieutenant Colonel Amos Nudamajo would not say when the force would begin regular patrols of the city, saying only that would happen "at the appropriate time."
The force's first foray into Monrovia came as Congress formally endorsed Taylor's letter of resignation on Thursday and he designated the 56-year-old Blah to succeed him.
Blah said he received a telephone call on Thursday morning from Taylor, who said he would be sworn in as president Monday.
Taylor indicated he would go into exile "very shortly," said Blah, who was a feared Taylor ally in the 1988-96 civil war that killed 100,000 people and put Taylor in power over a nation left in ruins.
However, Taylor has repeatedly hedged on promises to go into asylum in Nigeria.
His government said that would happen only after enough foreign peacekeepers were on the ground -- and if a war crimes indictment by a UN-backed tribunal is dropped.
"Nigeria has chosen to ignore that court, and I will be going to Nigeria," Taylor said in a CNN interview. "They've all seen the political nature of this ... they see no reason why I should be harassed. I will go to Nigeria, God willing."
In Washington, US Secretary of State Colin Powell said Taylor would not get out of the war crimes charges.
"If Taylor leaves Liberia, as we expect him to do in the very near future, and is given asylum in Nigeria, this does not remove the indictment in any way," Powell said.
Rebel leaders reached by phone at the scene of peace talks in Accra, Ghana, said the rebels would observe an often-violated June 17 ceasefire pact for Monrovia, but insisted they would not accept Taylor's allies holding power.
Kabineh Ja'neh, a leader of the rebel group besieging Monrovia, said his men "will not recognize Blah or any other chosen representative of Taylor's criminal empire."
The UN is drawing up an ambitious plan to rebuild Liberia's infrastructure and government which would see the creation of a 15,000-strong peacekeeping force to disarm all the warring factions, The Washington Post said yesterday.
The plan, which is being discussed by chief UN envoy Jacques Paul Klein with potential troop donors and the US, would also call for arresting Taylor if he does not leave the country soon.
The new UN mission would move into Liberia in November, replacing the West African force, and reach full strength by February, said the daily, quoting US and UN officials.
A potentially major stumbling block to the UN project is its financing, since the US would have to provide one fourth of its projected cost of US$500 million, a senior UN official said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential