President Pervez Musharraf flies home from what's being called a measurably successful overseas tour this week into a worsening political deadlock, with speculation rife that tough action against the rebellious parliament is high on his agenda. \n"The prospects of dissolution are more finely balanced than many people think," an Islamabad-based diplomat said. \n"Musharraf is facing ridiculous opposition from all over the place. He's getting bogged down in detail. \n"His vision is evaporating. He's spending all his time running trench warfare." \nOther analysts say Musharraf is more likely to use the courts to curb the opposition, pointing to a challenge in the supreme court against the academic qualifications of mainly Islamist opposition member of parliaments (MPs) that could see them unseated. \nSince October elections, which restored the first parliament since Musharraf's 1999 coup and were supposed to end his three-year military rule, only one piece of legislation has been passed: the national budget. \nA loose alliance of secular and Islamic opposition parties are waging a bitter campaign to force him to surrender self-appointed power and his simultaneous post as army chief. \nMost sessions of the 342-seat parliament, in which the pro-Musharraf coalition holds a slender majority, have descended into theatrics of shouts, slow chants, desk-slapping and foot-stomping by opposition MPs, forcing countless sessions to be abandoned. \nThe budget was only tabled on June 7 over a din of cantankerous opposition protests. \nTwice last month the chamber was beset with hours of pandemonium, and the opposition is even pushing ahead with a no-confidence motion this Saturday on the parliament's deputy speaker after boycotting their own earlier motion against the chief speaker. \n"He's more likely thinking of dissolution than he was a month ago. The budget session underscored that parliament is not working," the diplomat said. \n"Musharraf is now staring down the barrel of an eight-month-old parliament, with no legislation passed except budget and no bills in progress. \n"He's becoming increasingly frustrated, he can't do anything with his reform agenda ... he's being forced to trade off a lot of what he wants to do in terms of modernizing and moderating Islam," the diplomat said. \nThe Supreme Court challenge, sponsored privately by a lawyer, is most widely considered Musharraf's best alternative to avoiding the trauma of sacking the parliament, and the most effective means of wrenching compromise from Islamic parties, the most serious opposition force. \nThe lawyer has asked the court to unseat the MPs because they do not hold a university bachelor degree, which Musharraf made a prerequisite in a controversial decree just three months before the October polls. \nRetired Lieutenant General Talat Masood stressed dissolution would be a last resort. \n"If the paralysis of government continues, you can't rule out the scenario," he said. \n"But it's the worst-case scenario," he said. \nDissolution would be close to political suicide, as even the army would have to reconsider its support of Musharraf, Masood said. \n"He'll lose more than anyone else because it will mean he's failed, and it would mean his end, because in that scenario it would be difficult to last as army chief," he said. \nSeveral observers believe Musharraf may have sounded out officials in the US on how they would view dissolution. \n"He'll say `It's not working, parliament is in a state of complete gridlock,'" the diplomat speculated before Musharraf's departure. \nPolitical analyst Aqil Shah believed Musharraf was seeking a "carte-blanche licence" from the US during his nine-day trip there to deal sternly with the opposition. \n"Once he has a pat on the back from them he can come back and deal with the opposition more firmly," Shah said.
French authorities yesterday said that they would close a Paris mosque as part of a clampdown on radical Islam that has yielded over a dozen arrests following the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed. The mosque in a densely populated suburb northeast of Paris had disseminated a video on its Facebook page days before Friday’s gruesome murder, railing against teacher Samuel Paty’s choice of material for a class discussion on freedom of expression, a source close to the investigation said. The French Ministry of the Interior said the mosque in Pantin, which has
LONGSTANDING NEUTRALITY: The US request came as it vied for influence in Southeast Asia with China, but Indonesia has never let foreign militaries operate there Indonesia this year rejected a proposal by the US to allow its P-8 Poseidon maritime surveillance planes to land and refuel there, four senior Indonesian officials familiar with the matter have said. US officials made multiple “high-level” approaches in July and August to Indonesia’s defense and foreign ministers before Indonesian President Joko Widodo rebuffed the request, the officials said. Representatives for Indonesia’s president and defense minister, the US Department of State’s Office of Press Relations and the US embassy in Jakarta did not respond to requests for comment. Representatives for the US Department of Defense and Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi
COVID-19 UNDER CONTROL: The two prime ministers agreed to ease entry bans, and allow short-term business visits and reopen flights between Vietnam and Japan Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, in his first overseas summit since taking office last month, yesterday agreed with Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to step up defense and security cooperation in the face of China’s expanding influence in the region. In talks in Hanoi, Suga and Phuc set up a basic agreement allowing Japan to export defense equipment and technology to Vietnam. Japan has been pursuing such agreements to bolster ties with Southeast Asian nations and sustain its own defense industry. Suga said that his four-day trip to Vietnam and Indonesia would be key to pursuing the “free and open Indo-Pacific” vision
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said that he has no problem with being held responsible for the many killings under his crackdown on drugs, and that he is ready to face charges that could land him in jail, but not charges of crimes against humanity. Duterte’s televised remarks were among his clearest acknowledgement of the prospects that he could face a deluge of criminal charges for the bloody campaign he launched after taking office in the middle of 2016. Police have reported that at least 5,856 drug suspects have been killed in raids and more than 256,000 others arrested since